British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick

Collection going under the hammer 10 Mar at DNW

Thanks Poppa, Mine is not so nice....

Another scarce sixpence variety that I neglected to mention is lot 477 an 1875 sixpence DN 71 die pairing 3+C, Davies 1085.

And another is lot 486, an 1888 sixpence which is the 1 over 1 variety.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, jaggy said:

You will be fighting me for a few of them. 😘

I have identified 11 coins in the March sale that are of interest to me and four that are 'must haves'.

I doubt if I will be fighting you for many as I have limited funds, also I am only just dipping my toes in the Victorian era. So I'm like a child in the sweet shop, want everything but with little to spend. But will have a go on a few😘

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, jaggy said:

You will be fighting me for a few of them. 😘

I have identified 11 coins in the March sale that are of interest to me and four that are 'must haves'.

I doubt if I will be fighting you for many as I have limited funds, also I am only just dipping my toes in the Victorian era. So I'm like a child in the sweet shop, want everything but with little to spend. But will have a go on a few😘

Oops sorry I seem to have posted the same thread twice 😕

• Haha 1

Just in case anybody was wondering, the rare variety of 1898 sixpence with the small date (1 of date to bead) is in lot 488 and not lot 487, even though it says small date for both.

17 minutes ago, Nick said:

Just in case anybody was wondering, the rare variety of 1898 sixpence with the small date (1 of date to bead) is in lot 488 and not lot 487, even though it says small date for both.

Also in lot 488, is the scarcer 1893 sixpence with die pairing 2+A.

1 hour ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I know, limited funds are always the problem. There are so many coins that interest me and especially the varieties. I think the trick is to focus on the ones you really really want and go hard for them. And, of course, if you get everything in one go then there is nothing left for subsequent purchases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Another scarce sixpence variety that I neglected to mention is lot 477 an 1875 sixpence DN 71 die pairing 3+C, Davies 1085.

DNW haven't done you any favours in their descriptions. No mention of the varieties.

6 minutes ago, jaggy said:

DNW haven't done you any favours in their descriptions. No mention of the varieties.

I supplied them with a full list of varieties that I was aware of, with Davies numbers, but on the whole they chose not to use them.  Hence the reason I have mentioned a number of them here.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

It seems to me that, in general, auction houses are taking less care and interest in the cataloguing of lots at a time when they could and should benefitting from the lack of coin fairs, dealers' premises etc. It looks like pure apathy and laziness to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

It seems to me that, in general, auction houses are taking less care and interest in the cataloguing of lots at a time when they could and should benefitting from the lack of coin fairs, dealers' premises etc. It looks like pure apathy and laziness to me.

I quite agree Santa.  It does look like apathy doesn't it but, in their defence, I can also imagine that it's not easy trying to catalogue a collection when you're bladdered on Moet Chandon every night.

by the way, did you ever get your bathroom done?

Edited by Diaconis

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

by the way, did you ever get your bathroom done?

Don't you start - it's bad enough 'er indoors going on and on.........

• Haha 5

Anyone got links for the 1889 2+C shilling and 1898 2+B sixpence as well?

A good auction for you @Nick ! At least, I hope it was - most lots were over estimate, quite a lot were well over. :)

• Like 1

Doing our best to support Nick!

• Like 1

Yes I supported Nick also today. Just had to have some of his lovely Sixpences and Threepences. I managed to get 5 Lots 😍 The most I have ever spent in one go on coins, will be beans on toast for the next month or more.

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys.  Really appreciate it.  I hope those of you that bid, managed to get something you wanted.

All in all, pleased with the result.  Some went for lower estimates, some high and some just wow.

40 minutes ago, Nick said:

Thanks guys.  Really appreciate it.  I hope those of you that bid, managed to get something you wanted.

All in all, pleased with the result.  Some went for lower estimates, some high and some just wow.

I picked up three of your lots.

1860 sixpence

1871 sixpence - no die no.

1887 sixpence - JEB on truncation.

In my records I will mark the provenance as 'Nick from Predecimal'.

• Like 1

Really some lovely coins and only wish I had more money to spend! Retrospectively there were a few that went low but many of the bigger ticket items such as the 1841 2/6 did pretty well IMO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jaggy said:

I picked up three of your lots.

1860 sixpence

1871 sixpence - no die no.

1887 sixpence - JEB on truncation.

In my records I will mark the provenance as 'Nick from Predecimal'.

I suggest it might be better to mark it "DNW Fleet Collection Sale" plus the lot numbers and the date? That would make the provenance part of a chain and useful to any subsequent owners. You could always put your text as an additional comment!