British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick

Collection going under the hammer 10 Mar at DNW

30 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I suggest it might be better to mark it "DNW Fleet Collection Sale" plus the lot numbers and the date? That would make the provenance part of a chain and useful to any subsequent owners. You could always put your text as an additional comment!

I think you missed my poor attempt at humour.

My database has a field for the auction or dealer a coin has been bought from, the specific auction number or name, date bought, lot number, cost and provenance. There is a separate field titled 'comments'. There is, therefore, plenty of opportunity to document the 'chain'.

MGIRJh.jpg

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 2

Did you design that database yourself? I created mine 25 years ago using FileMaker Pro, and it's expanded considerably since then!

Here are 4 layouts (out of at least 25)...

947461555_FMProdatabase.thumb.jpg.6e6ad8ea0600efc9f339e11a2db76222.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Did you design that database yourself? I created mine 25 years ago using FileMaker Pro, and it's expanded considerably since then!

Here are 4 layouts (out of at least 25)...

947461555_FMProdatabase.thumb.jpg.6e6ad8ea0600efc9f339e11a2db76222.jpg

Yes. I used a product called Steward. There is more to it than the screen I showed. I also have fields for monarch, date, two photo fields, two reference fields (e.g. ESC), size & weight, obverse details, reverse details, hammered or milled, slabbed or raw, certificate number (if slabbed). I can add any other fields I want. 

3 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Yes. I used a product called Steward. There is more to it than the screen I showed. I also have fields for monarch, date, two photo fields, two reference fields (e.g. ESC), size & weight, obverse details, reverse details, hammered or milled, slabbed or raw, certificate number (if slabbed). I can add any other fields I want. 

Me too. You should see the complexity of the values calculation - so complex I had to create a tutorial layout to remind myself what to do!

5 hours ago, jaggy said:

I think you missed my poor attempt at humour.

I missed that also 🙂 

DNW is a well respected auction house. But I think many of us here would agree that the provenance of "Nick's collection" would bear more weight.

I didn't bid because I thought (and it turned out quite correctly) that the lots I like are more then I can afford. 

The database is an excellent idea. I must create one at some point.

Very useful.

At the moment I just keep all the receipts, or even a hard copy of a screenshot if I don't get a proper receipt with the item. I might incorporate a space for a photo of the receipt.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I missed that also 🙂 

DNW is a well respected auction house. But I think many of us here would agree that the provenance of "Nick's collection" would bear more weight.

I didn't bid because I thought (and it turned out quite correctly) that the lots I like are more then I can afford. 

To a fellow forum member, yes I agree. But someone from outside buying the coin would be able to look up the DNW sale / lot number and possibly see any provenance quoted in the item description. DNW would have no record equating to "Nick's collection".

Everytime i have bought Lots from DNW the website has worked really well and always received the day after paying ,obviously geared up properly and Hat off 👍

Well wrapped aswell without all the daft sellotape some Auctioneers and Dealers use ,one lot i bought at an Auction house a couple of weeks ago they just put the coins in bubblewrap all together ,with selloptape wrapped round.

I assume the capsules are ones that you gave them with the coins Nick ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I imagine so.  All of mine were stored in Lighthouse capsules inserted into trays inside metal box cabinets.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Everytime i have bought Lots from DNW the website has worked really well and always received the day after paying ,obviously geared up properly and Hat off 👍

Well wrapped aswell without all the daft sellotape some Auctioneers and Dealers use ,one lot i bought at an Auction house a couple of weeks ago they just put the coins in bubblewrap all together ,with selloptape wrapped round.

Yep, with some of them it's like trying to break into Fort Knox to get at the coin. 

• Like 1

I had an email today with 'package ready' information and tracking number. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Yep, with some of them it's like trying to break into Fort Knox to get at the coin. 

Wait until you see the new packaging

739404486_Screenshot2021-03-12at19_53_14.png.546627ee7be6ae114ca8926a69d42d71.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I have always been impressed with DNW, their website worked really well even way back in 2013 when i got my first (and profile pic) coin from them. 

They have a little work to do on their Archive search(works pretty well but not 100% there, needs a bit more standardising for denominations)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

I have always been impressed with DNW, their website worked really well even way back in 2013 when i got my first (and profile pic) coin from them. 

They have a little work to do on their Archive search(works pretty well but not 100% there, needs a bit more standardising for denominations)

The only thing that p*sses me off is that having selected an (upcoming) auction as part of a search, it doesn't remember that, so when you search the next coin(s) you have to also select the auction again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

The only thing that p*sses me off is that having selected an (upcoming) auction as part of a search, it doesn't remember that, so when you search the next coin(s) you have to also select the auction again.

definitely annoys me too, if you want to lose it though go to spink and try search for something, if you still have the stomach after that go to baldwins.

Heritage has to be the best, at times even things miss-spelled come up, and the heritage coins come up in google image search which speeds up the process of finding the price of something :)

Side note, the worst coin to find online sales history of is the 1 1/2 pence, there are so many different variations of what it can be called.....

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, Mr T said:

Do you know if the 7 to head is known on circulating coins? I'm inclined to call it a pattern because it looks like an unrecorded obverse too - there are two lines on the bottom of the crown like obverse 1 but three pearls on the central arch like obverse 2.

The main point with the obverse is the brooch has 20 pearls not 16 as is normal. So in fact a totally different obverse. Some of these were issued in the 1887 silver only sets. I have not seen a currency piece with 7 to a bead

Edited by 1887jubilee
omission
  • Like 1