British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick

Collection going under the hammer 10 Mar at DNW

I have finally given up on collecting and have sent my collection to auction at DNW for the next sale.

There are some decent examples of most silver denominations, but generally the Victorian crowns and sixpences are amongst the better items, including some sixpences that are ex Alfred Bole.  For the variety hunters, there will be some of interest, such as:

• 1887 double florin with die pairing 1+B
  • 1887 halfcrown with unrecorded reverse design
  • 1887 florins 1+A and 2+A
  • 1888 florins 2+A (1887 obverse) and 3+A
  • 1889 florins 3+B and 3+C
  • 1890 florins 3+C and 3+D
  • 1914 florins 2+C, 2+D and 2+E
  • 1923 florin 2+E (mule)
  • 1839 shilling proof is rarer en-medaille variety
  • 1858 shilling 4+A NGC MS63
  • 1880 shilling 7+C and 7+D
  • 1884 shilling 7+D and 7+F
  • 1888 shilling (not 8 over 7)
  • 1889 shilling 2+C (never seen another)
  • 1895 and 1896 shillings small rose
  • 1921 shilling 3+D
  • 1837 sixpence B over R in BRITANNIAR
  • 1867 sixpences 2+A and 3+A
  • 1879 sixpence DN 9
  • 1880 sixpences 5+D and 6+D
  • 1898 sixpence 2+B small date
  • 1911 sixpences 1+A (March sale) and 2+A (April sale)
  • Like 1

Buon chance!  Will follow yours...

13 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Buon chance!  Will follow yours...

Thanks Eric.  You might be interested in the 1869 sixpence that you liked when I posted it a long while ago.

D1074.jpg

• Like 1

Got links/ lot # for the lazy? :) 

6 hours ago, Nick said:

I have finally given up on collecting and have sent my collection to auction at DNW for the next sale.

There are some decent examples of most silver denominations, but generally the Victorian crowns and sixpences are amongst the better items, including some sixpences that are ex Alfred Bole.  For the variety hunters, there will be some of interest, such as:

• 1887 double florin with die pairing 1+B
  • 1887 halfcrown with unrecorded reverse design
  • 1887 florins 1+A and 2+A
  • 1888 florins 2+A (1887 obverse) and 3+A
  • 1889 florins 3+B and 3+C
  • 1890 florins 3+C and 3+D
  • 1914 florins 2+C, 2+D and 2+E
  • 1923 florin 2+E (mule)
  • 1839 shilling proof is rarer en-medaille variety
  • 1858 shilling 4+A NGC MS63
  • 1880 shilling 7+C and 7+D
  • 1884 shilling 7+D and 7+F
  • 1888 shilling (not 8 over 7)
  • 1889 shilling 2+C (never seen another)
  • 1895 and 1896 shillings small rose
  • 1921 shilling 3+D
  • 1837 sixpence B over R in BRITANNIAR
  • 1867 sixpences 2+A and 3+A
  • 1879 sixpence DN 9
  • 1880 sixpences 5+D and 6+D
  • 1898 sixpence 2+B small date
  • 1911 sixpences 1+A (March sale) and 2+A (April sale)

Why did you decide to give up on collecting, out of interest?

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Why did you decide to give up on collecting, out of interest?

I simply ran out of funds.  But even if that hadn't happened, I would have probably have stopped anyway due to the lack of availability of the rarities that I was missing.

LOL, I was trying to go quiet on the 1869 6d. I have one in PCGS62 but don't really like it much. Yours is MUCH better!

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

LOL, I was trying to go quiet on the 1869 6d. I have one in PCGS62 but don't really like it much. Yours is MUCH better!

Sorry.😳

5 hours ago, Nick said:

I simply ran out of funds.  But even if that hadn't happened, I would have probably have stopped anyway due to the lack of availability of the rarities that I was missing.

Ok, here's a question that seems obvious (to me!) - why didn't you decide to sell most of the collection apart from one choice example of each type?

36 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Ok, here's a question that seems obvious (to me!) - why didn't you decide to sell most of the collection apart from one choice example of each type?

It simply never crossed my mind to do that.

23 hours ago, Nick said:

It simply never crossed my mind to do that.

Shows the differences between collectors - it would have been my first thought! But then I am a type collector now.

The 1887 Halfcrown with 7 to a bead is a significant rarity. I have sent the information to a friend in Australia who has been looking for one for some time. The double florin obv.1 rev. B is well known but represents only about 5% of 1887 double florins. If you have anything else 1887 please contact me.  PS good to see all the familiar names on the forum.

Oh really, i had better check my 1887 halfcrowns and double florins, cheers.

Edited by Iannich48

50 minutes ago, 1887jubilee said:

The 1887 Halfcrown with 7 to a bead is a significant rarity. I have sent the information to a friend in Australia who has been looking for one for some time. The double florin obv.1 rev. B is well known but represents only about 5% of 1887 double florins. If you have anything else 1887 please contact me.  PS good to see all the familiar names on the forum.

Many thanks for your input and for passing on the info to your friend.  I don't think I have any other 1887 varieties of any great rarity, just the scarce R/V and JEB on truncation sixpences.

10 hours ago, 1887jubilee said:

The 1887 Halfcrown with 7 to a bead is a significant rarity. I have sent the information to a friend in Australia who has been looking for one for some time.

Is that the unrecorded reverse half crown in the above list? Which lot number is it?

8 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Is that the unrecorded reverse half crown in the above list? Which lot number is it?

It is.  The lot number is 355.

• Like 1

Nick, wish my money was better right now but will definitely go on the one lot plus maybe one or two others...

• Like 1

Some cracking good sixpences will have to have a go on a few. 😀 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 7:20 AM, 1887jubilee said:

Do you know if the 7 to head is known on circulating coins? I'm inclined to call it a pattern because it looks like an unrecorded obverse too - there are two lines on the bottom of the crown like obverse 1 but three pearls on the central arch like obverse 2.

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Do you know if the 7 to head is known on circulating coins? I'm inclined to call it a pattern because it looks like an unrecorded obverse too - there are two lines on the bottom of the crown like obverse 1 but three pearls on the central arch like obverse 2.

Don't know the answer, hopefully 1887jubilee will.  The 7 to bead indicates either a slightly different size of reverse or a different number of border beads (I haven't counted), but there are also a number of design differences in the crown (picture attached).

HC-1887.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nick said:

The 7 to bead indicates either a slightly different size of reverse or a different number of border beads (I haven't counted)

I have now counted and the the unrecorded reverse has approximately 20 more beads than the contemporary reverses.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Some cracking good sixpences will have to have a go on a few. 😀 

You will be fighting me for a few of them. 😘

I have identified 11 coins in the March sale that are of interest to me and four that are 'must haves'.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 8:25 AM, Nick said:

Thanks Eric.  You might be interested in the 1869 sixpence that you liked when I posted it a long while ago.

D1074.jpg

Fortunately, I already have an 1869 sixpence (Die #12, trivial scuffing, lightly toned on obverse) which I bought in the Willis sale at Glendinnings in 1991. So, Eric, go for it.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, VickySilver said:

Mine is NGC MS64.