British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Generic Lad

Any idea what this is? Or what its trying to imitate?

This is a strange one, it tests as sterling silver on an XRF gun, on my cheap Chinese scale rings in at 1.5 grams, is basically perfectly round. I do not think this is authentic, but I don't know what its purpose was, seems far too nice to be a cheap fake and doesn't seem to match anything (that I know of) to try to be a deceptive fake and I can't seem to find anything with a few hours of Googling for it to be some sort of fantasy or commemorative coin/token

9pJHp5s.jpg

PxyyIiE.jpg

Any help in trying to narrow this down would be appreciated!

some thing like this sold for arounf 400 quid a little while back, looks wrong to me, 

Repro, surely?

http://northshorenumismaticsociety.org/short-cross-coinage-england/

It purports to be a Carlisle short cross penny, but is obviously a modern copy as the mint signature is CARL which doesn't exist, the valid readings being CAR, CARD, CARDI or CARDV. Alain or Alein strikes in classes 1b, 1c, 3 & 4b at Carlisle, but exactly which class it is trying to be is impossible to say with so much being wrong. A class 1c is attached to give an idea what it is imitating.

1765853657_c2015HenryIIclass1cPennyCarlisle.thumb.jpg.0a2f34d2989e2c0063a1e55551c83806.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a repro henry III penny .

Sort of thing that museums sell as a keepsake