British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

1953 VIP Proof set

I see that DNW have a 1953 VIP proof set in their next auction and yet the penny in the set is a standard proof die pairing (C+b) whereas the 3 previous VIP sets that I've seen had a penny with die-pairing of B+a (currency obv and toothed rev).

Have DNW mis-catalogued a normal proof set or was the VIP set produced with differing contents ?

• Like 1

At a guess, the penny has been swapped out from the original set

• Like 1

Mine as well.  Good to see you posting again.

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

Have DNW mis-catalogued a normal proof set or was the VIP set produced with differing contents ?

I'm not convinced that this is a vip set - doesn't look good enough. I also think two other so called 1953 vip proofs in the same sale are not. One, a 1953 halfcrown, is the standard, common 2+A pairing; I though all the vip proofs of this denomination were the super-rare 1+A pair.

The only one that looks genuinely vip is the slabbed crown. If you search the dnw auction catalogue for March 2021 for vip proof, these will come up, and see what other members think... Do you agree?

anyone got a link?

12 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

anyone got a link?

Here you go, Chris - link

Like Martin, I'm not convinced either. Same with a lot of proofs, VIP or otherwise. 

Sometimes it's absolutely blindingly obvious that the coin is a proof. The differences hit you in the eye immediately. But there's a lot that frankly don't really look any different to a currency issue.  

• Like 2

The other so called vip lots in this sale are: 229 - crown, which I am prepared to accept as a vip, lot 231 - halfcrown, really don't think so as I say above, and lot 236 - farthing, which I have my doubts about too.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Here you go, Chris - link

Like Martin, I'm not convinced either. Same with a lot of proofs, VIP or otherwise. 

Sometimes it's absolutely blindingly obvious that the coin is a proof. The differences hit you in the eye immediately. But there's a lot that frankly don't really look any different to a currency issue.  

Thanks Mike. It's hard to determine a VIP proof when there were normal proofs in that year. Why wouldn't they issue VIPs with early strikes of an 'ordinary' proof set? In any case, the real determiner - the penny - is the normal proof issue, as has been pointed out.

• Like 1

The penny seems much more handled , centrally tarnished, than the others; I suspect it is an interloper to this set.

Jerry

• Like 2

Here is an “ordinary” proof 1953 farthing although of decent quality:

FA3EA856-0BBF-4DBB-9CC1-9228EEA9019F.jpeg

• Like 1

The reason I posted the farthing above is that even though it is not "VIP" standard, I must say I do not understand the reason for crazy prices for the later. This one in hand is much better and is IMO properly graded as Proof Ultra-cameo 67*. I still paid about 200 prorated for it as I got it as a grouping with the penny and halfpenny, all of which were exceptional for lack of marks and cameo contrast - the larger two got Ultra-cameo 67 and are beautiful but not VIP either.

IMO, standard year "VIP" proofs other than the special penny of 1953 are not:

1 -   readily identified separate from "normal" exceptional coins, with the exception of the special penny noted

2 -   most assuredly NOT worth a premium over excellent "normal" coins

I may not agree with the identification in the upcoming LC sale with the crown as "VIP", if that matters. Many "normal" proof coins of this year have excellent strike, and extreme cameo effect on obverse and reverse. I would argue that even if specially prepared, any differences are negligible.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:58 PM, Martinminerva said:

The other so called vip lots in this sale are: 229 - crown, which I am prepared to accept as a vip, lot 231 - halfcrown, really don't think so as I say above, and lot 236 - farthing, which I have my doubts about too.

That VIP Crown, lot 229, does look stunning, unlike the Crown in the VIP Set.

think my half crown is the bog standard one 

5ab4276e78487_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.c525095aa5cab33c0f865531425658d3.jpg

5ab4276441917_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.03be058450b3b4343b2f8a126c47c47f.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, but a nice one that. And see my commentary on the above post as well....

They are from Liecester, i wonder if that is near Leicester? 

Anyway, asking a crazy price as you said.

Edited by Iannich48
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Rusell Franks is the Numistacker, and he is also the CEO of infinity (the 'office' address on Numistacker website is identical to the ifinity). The set was sent to ngc graded via Numistacker, by a guy whose nick name is regal stacker. Not sure if the coin was purchased by someone from regal stacker, then resale it or directly sell by regal stacker).

1 hour ago, Iannich48 said:

Confirmed -- Regal stack just promote the set on his youtube. So the set is directly sold by him.

Edited by celtic_coin

3 minutes ago, celtic_coin said:

Confirmed -- Regal stack just promote the set on his youtube. So the set is directly listed by him.

Sorry for repeating comment; I do not know how to delete this one.

Edited by celtic_coin

Wow, who pays those prices? Maybe if it is stuck up there for that amount they take counteroffers? Yikes. those are decent enough coins worthy IMO of a premium but not of that magnitude. Perhaps a bit more than 200 pounds...

I did pay a premium for the coppers by themselves:

Proof 67* Cameo farthing, Proof67 Ultra-cameo 1/2d, Proof 67Ultra-cameo 1d

These are absolutely superb coins that quality wise would certainly match VIP coins, although the penny is not of the "special" type.

Edited by VickySilver
enhance the post
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Wow, who pays those prices? Maybe if it is stuck up there for that amount they take counteroffers? Yikes. those are decent enough coins worthy IMO of a premium but not of that magnitude. Perhaps a bit more than 200 pounds...

I did pay a premium for the coppers by themselves:

Proof 67* Cameo farthing, Proof67 Ultra-cameo 1/2d, Proof 67Ultra-cameo 1d

These are absolutely superb coins that quality wise would certainly match VIP coins, although the penny is not of the "special" type.

I agree with you. It is indeed a superb set, and the coppers do catch my eyes, too. For this set, it is worth grading, and 200 pounds is bit low for this set. However, for the price the seller asks… it is crazy high.

• Like 1

Yes, mine were bought at one of the Heritage weekly sales and were of superb quality. 

I agree with you entirely...

8 hours ago, celtic_coin said:

Confirmed -- Regal stack just promote the set on his youtube. So the set is directly sold by him.

Did anyone else spot the great rarity amongst that little lot?  

Yes, a 1953 farthing with major error on reverse, a ‘wobin’ instead of a wren. 

Awful watching.

• Haha 3