British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

Mr. Grumpy.

Messrs Roettiers, Croker, Pistrucci etc. what say you?

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 22.37.30.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Messrs Roettiers, Croker, Pistrucci etc. what say you?

"That's not fair! We weren't allowed to put our full names on our designs!"

• Like 1

But seriously, it is the norm these days with the Royal Mint. Wallace & Gromit, Paddington, Snowman, Winnie the Pooh ...

Described as "uncirculated" and they can never be circulated...

Edited by Sword

9 minutes ago, Sword said:

"That's not fair! We weren't allowed to put our full names on our designs!"

Pistrucci did.

Just his surname on coins I think.

15 minutes ago, Sword said:

Just his surname on coins I think.

Yup, can't argue with that.

The reason I put up this screen shot here was, I suppose, to illustrate the extent to which I consider coinage design has lost it's way. From timeless, classic, objects of beauty, to images one might find printed on a plastic nursery lunchbox. Yes, I know, as it is with stamps,  it's all about editions and 'collect 'em all' but I guess I'm just a little too set in my ways to see the attraction.

Edited by Michael-Roo

5 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Yup, can't argue with that.

The reason I put up this screen shot here was, I suppose, to illustrate the extent to which I consider coinage design has lost it's way. From timeless, classic, objects of beauty, to images one might find printed on a plastic nursery lunchbox. Yes, I know, as it is with stamps,  it's all about editions and 'collect 'em all' but I guess I'm just a little too set in my ways to see the attraction.

It's embarrassing. Our coins used to be good. :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Yes, I know, as it is with stamps,  it's all about editions and 'collect 'em all' but I guess I'm just a little too set in my ways to see the attraction.

At least the commemorative stamp is a stamp and is current and fit for purpose, i.e, sticking on a letter. Now if ever they had the idea to make them out  of Vicuna wool or Mulberry silk then we could see a similar trend in Phil Latterly. 

Not everyone buying coins are numismatists. They include impulse buyers, investors, misguided investors, souvenir buyers, present purchasers and one-off buyers. 

The offerings from the Royal Mint are rarely aimed at numismatists these days, but at the other groups. Their mission is to simply to make money (banknotes rather than well-designed coins). 

It's easier for numismatists to just ignore the souvenir coin market.

• Like 1

Yep.  It's still cringeworthy though.  The continuing infantilisation of something that has no business being infantilised.

Bah humbug!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sword said:

Not everyone buying coins are numismatists. They include impulse buyers, investors, misguided investors, souvenir buyers, present purchasers and one-off buyers. 

The offerings from the Royal Mint are rarely aimed at numismatists these days, but at the other groups. Their mission is to simply to make money (banknotes rather than well-designed coins). 

Why is Tony Robinson coming to mind? :lol:

Mind you, that other advert for a grossly overpriced gold coin does quote the name Pistrucci .. wonder who that's aimed at?

54 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Mind you, that other advert for a grossly overpriced gold coin does quote the name Pistrucci .. wonder who that's aimed at?

Not you I think, and definitely not I. 

A fair number were brought by investors hoping for a quick profit I would imagine. Coins reusing historical designs always have greater chance of becoming wanted at least in the short term. The mint is quite clever not to do this too often or it will lose the effect.

23 hours ago, Sword said:

YOU might add Presents for children to that list I suspect

23 hours ago, Sword said:

Not you I think, and definitely not I. 

A fair number were brought by investors hoping for a quick profit I would imagine. Coins reusing historical designs always have greater chance of becoming wanted at least in the short term. The mint is quite clever not to do this too often or it will lose the effect.

That one wasn't even the RM - the London Mint Office or something fatuous like that.

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

You might add Presents for children to that list I suspect

Possibly. But my young nephew would be very upset if I brought him that coin instead of a toy he wanted. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peckris 2 said:

That one wasn't even the RM - the London Mint Office or something fatuous like that.

It's the Royal Mint unfortunately...https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/mr-men-little-miss/

1 minute ago, Sword said:

It's the Royal Mint unfortunately...https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/mr-men-little-miss/

No, I meant the one that advertises a tiny gold coin designed by 'a descendant of Pistrucci'.

Haven't heard of it before. Am I alone in thinking that St George's face looks like that of a middle age lady? 

1280470072_temptemp-Copy.jpg.ca2719db1acd766d41ada3d135094f00.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2021 at 5:05 AM, mrbadexample said:

It's embarrassing. Our coins used to be good. :(

I have often remarked to certain friends how, in the mid-19th century, people from foreign climes must have come to Britain,

and been amazed and astounded at the beautiful works of art that were used as normal everyday coinage.

Talk about impressing on the world just how strong a position Britain was in in those days....