British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
terrysoldpennies

Four of a kind

Yes I know 1967 penny , who cares they only made 600,000,000 of them.     Well I came across a lot of ten mixed date pennies on a very poor out of focus picture, with only one coin that you could determine the date and that it was a missing sea example.    I already had a 1966 example and have been looking for a 1967 for many years.  and to my great surprise when the pennies arrived four of the five 1967s were missing sea types, so must have been stored away when new and have survived together for the past fifty four years.        After having a good look at the 1967s and comparing them with the 1966 I noticed that all the 1967s not only had the missing sea but also had a much shorter plume and a missing back shoulder strap , whereas on the 1966 missing sea the strap is present and the plume runs right down to touch the shoulder, as you find on the normal 1966/67s .

1889211714_1967fourmissingseacoinsfromsamebatchlownumbered.thumb.JPG.a520a73d9d1f5ab6ca914607b62f33fa.JPG

• Like 3

These are all mentioned in the Groom book Terry for 1961, 63,64,65,66 & 67 Missing waves / Short helmet plume and loss of the fold on Britannias gown over the right shoulder.

I did know that Pete I posted that on here in Feb 2016 but its that the two missing sea dates are both different one with the long plume the other with the short

Neat find Terry. 

ooh I have a tub of 1966/67's- I must go through them...!

6 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I did know that Pete I posted that on here in Feb 2016 but its that the two missing sea dates are both different one with the long plume the other with the short

Yes ,i posted as was more incase anyone else reading the thread was not aware that they were on other years who may be interested.

20 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

These are all mentioned in the Groom book Terry for 1961, 63,64,65,66 & 67 Missing waves / Short helmet plume and loss of the fold on Britannias gown over the right shoulder.

Yes, I have to agree with Pete its a good book to buy for information on 20th century Bronze.  

Doesn't Freeman mention that all 1960s pennies had slightly different reverse dies? I think Gouby glossed over it.

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Doesn't Freeman mention that all 1960s pennies had slightly different reverse dies? I think Gouby glossed over it.

Yes, each year had 'recut waves' apparently

6 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, each year had 'recut waves' apparently

All pictured on my varieties site.

• Like 1