British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

BBC articles

I have posted previous articles spotted on the BBC website, but thought a generic thread would be better so as not to keep starting new ones. Spotted this one today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56045273

The form at the bottom allows comment and contribution - I thought of pointing out how many fakes of the Kew gardens are around.

Also give room for posting pictures of you oldest coins, or info about your collection - anyone fancy it? 🙂 

• Like 1

Well well well- just this second stopped reading that piece and I I had the same thought about the fake 'Kews'....

Hmm...popularising this hobby is great, but it would be nice to get away from the 'Oldest is Best' style of thinking....

maybe posted coins should really be 'notable' so they have a story to tell?

• Like 1

I am sure between us we could send them pics of some really notable coins? I thought maybe my Gothic Crown, or one of my early Saxon pennies?

I think Danelaw's hammered river finds are something special....

I've had some finds when hammered....

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I think you will be able to buy them without colours as well

Will the coloured ones be more expensive?

If so, I can imagine the likes of marleybob and other Ebay trash buying those big sets of Sharpie pens that have lots of different colours!!

• Haha 2

I am pretty sure the crayoned in coins are more expensive

• Like 1

The only "coloured" coin I do like is the 1990 Isle of Man penny black crown. It won three awards at the time:

743925280_Isle-of-Man-1990-penny-blac-Copy.jpg.dca99c33ce0316068b0eb9f05d8bd016.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sword said:

The only "coloured" coin I do like is the 1990 Isle of Man penny black crown. It won three awards at the time:

743925280_Isle-of-Man-1990-penny-blac-Copy.jpg.dca99c33ce0316068b0eb9f05d8bd016.jpg

Actually quite nice , many Isle of man coins look like they were made in a hurry with little thought put into them but that's really nice , obverse engraveing of elizabeth and crown very nice

1981 was a year that they must have produced about twenty different crowns , better produce four good designs  than twenty poor ones

• Like 1

This one in the BBC news today - hoard of Iron Age gold staters found in Chelmsford and not declared to the coroner. Two in court...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-56555343

"going equipped for theft"....?? having a metal detector?

Very strange wording- like they went somewhere knowing there was a hoard??

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

I think its more like intent to find a hoard, nobody  knows where a hoard is (unless its in a museum)!

Or maybe intent to loot finds and not declare them .

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Agreed. If he was just carrying a metal detector then surely that's a slur against anybody who carries a metal detector for perfectly lawful expeditions.  

• Like 1

I think there has to be an agreement with a land owner as well or else the coin detecting is considered theft

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I guess they could infer that he was going equipped for theft as he had no intention of properly reporting his finds. Not sure that goes as far as proof of an offence though. :huh:

9 hours ago, copper123 said:

I think its more like intent to find a hoard, nobody  knows where a hoard is (unless its in a museum)!

Or maybe intent to loot finds and not declare them .

Well yeah- no-one knows, so how could you prove they knew there was one?

Or would you need to?

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Agreed. If he was just carrying a metal detector then surely that's a slur against anybody who carries a metal detector for perfectly lawful expeditions.  

.......it's like being charged with rape because you were   'in possession of the necessary equipment'......

• Haha 1

I can see that being on private land, or indeed any land without permission to metal detect with a metal detector might be seen as "going equipped for theft". I wonder if the prosecution can prove it? Hopefully there will be more news after the case comes to court.

• Like 1

Having a penis means you can be charged with being a potential rapist then>

• Like 1

The point is its illegal to hunt on land WITHOUT permision .

6 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

.......it's like being charged with rape because you were   'in possession of the necessary equipment'......

In literal logical terms, that principle is identical. 

We know what they mean, but it's very clumsy wording, and the inference is that a metal detector is only used for criminal purposes. 

It would have been better if they'd said "The metal detector he carried was used for nefarious purposes".

But then it is the BBC who these days don't seem quite the impartial body they once were.

• Like 1

Well it would be nice if a metal detector was never used for criminal purposes.

It would also be great if the same could be said of knives.

To be fair 95% of metal detectorists stay on the legal side - this is only a guess but I would guess probably not far out there are ALWAYS non - conformists everywhere where there is money at stake

• Like 2