British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

1860 penny Freeman 14. LCW below foot.

18 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

"The coin is slightly worn" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did see a VG or thereabouts F8B sell for about £300 on eBay last weekend, but surely there is no way to tell what dies were used on "The slightly worn coin". 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

I did see a VG or thereabouts F8B sell for about £300 on eBay last weekend, but surely there is no way to tell what dies were used on "The slightly worn coin". 😁

It looks "very similar". I know this because I asked. :ph34r:

"Hi we have looked at others and with it being so old and in the family we have not had it confirmed as a 1860 Pattern Penny Freeman8B it is so worn
However it looks very similar to what we have seen
Many Thanks"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

"Hi we have looked at others and with it being so old and in the family we have not had it confirmed as a 1860 Pattern Penny Freeman8B it is so worn
Many Thanks"

Good enough for me...................

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I remember a forum member telling me a few years ago " i will sell the coins myself before i go ,nobody will get as much as me " and if your reading this i believe you were right  👍

Was it me Pete, sounds like the sort of thing I may have said!?

You've reminded me that it's about time, but can I just keep back the best 10.....or maybe 100 please? It's so damned difficult to think about parting with one's collection........even when you know it makes sense. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Many Thanks"

They've now removed it after I contacted them. They said that Ebay led them down the route of describing it as F8B which I can believe given the way that it can steer advertisers who are not familiar with what they're selling, to something similar.

9 minutes ago, secret santa said:

They've now removed it after I contacted them. They said that Ebay led them down the route of describing it as F8B which I can believe given the way that it can steer advertisers who are not familiar with what they're selling, to something similar.

Actually, I can completely believe that. They do like to tell you what it is and how much you should ask when you list something.

I wasn't rude, I just said I couldn't bid if they weren't sure. :)

That's the thing about coins. They will survive whoever inherits them, and they will continue to survive through many more inheritees -  their births, marriages and deaths - so who knows where the coins we own today, will be residing in say 2500.

Often I look at a really old coin in lustrous condition and think it almost certainly looked exactly like it does now, 150+ years ago. The same on the day I, parents, grandparents and great grandparents were born, back to ancestor relatives who died way before our forebears were thought of (assuming they were thought of). With the same little blemishes, the same trace of a fingerprint, the same edge knock and so on.

Also a well worn coin. How many millions of times did it change hands? How many countless pockets, purses, banks, tills and piggy banks has it been in, during those many decades of circulation? 

Interesting to ponder.  

InheritORS !!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

InheritORS !!! :lol:

PedANT !!! ;)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

PedANT !!! ;)

Well, yeah, but the non-existant word 'inheritee' had been used so many times above! I just couldn't let it rest...

If we use it often enough it will become accepted. Remember how the word "quiz" was born !

23 hours ago, secret santa said:

If we use it often enough it will become accepted. Remember how the word "quiz" was born !

Oh god, I hope not! It's bad enough we have to put up with the appalling abortion of a word "attendee".

On 2/19/2021 at 10:44 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Oh god, I hope not! It's bad enough we have to put up with the appalling abortion of a word "attendee".

I think one of the problems is that you see the word written down somewhere - often in the media - and if it's not a word used very often, you just assume it's correct.

Inheritees isn't a "derivative" of a word I'd frequently use, and it sounds looks plausible enough. 

Whereas if someone writes, for example, "could of" instead of "could have", that immediately hits you in the eye as obviously incorrect grammar. Yet many do.      

Edited by 1949threepence
altering "sounds" to "looks"
  • Like 3

Since the start of Covid,  'data' has been referred to as a plural, strangely, after decades of everyone getting it wrong...

'Referenda' seems to have vanished now, thank heaven, replaced by 'referendums', but remember that we are often not the arbiters of good usage:

in US supermarkets one till/checkout is labelled '15 items or fewer', quite correctly, instead of using 'less',

and it can easily be argued that 'math' is the correct abbreviation of 'mathematics', and not 'maths'.....

• Like 2

It depresses me that the plural of forum is now accepted as "forums" instead of "fora". Even spell check highlights the second, not the first.

• Like 4

ooh yeah! It is second declension, after all, which is what people assume about 'referendum', and come unstuck.

'Referenda' was often used by people who wanted to appeared learned, rather like 

'Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well'

and  'stuff that dreams are made of'  etc..etc....I don't worry any more- language evolves, but when someone talks crap 

with a smug look on their face I press the button marked 'launch all missiles'....:)

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:53 PM, secret santa said:

If I have to answer that, am I the 'quizzee' ?  :)

oo- what about 'different to', ( so I say "it's similar from"  )

and, in Parliament particularly:   "we will insure this happens"  .....ggrrrr....

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Since the start of Covid,  'data' has been referred to as a plural, strangely, after decades of everyone getting it wrong...

'Referenda' seems to have vanished now, thank heaven, replaced by 'referendums', but remember that we are often not the arbiters of good usage:

in US supermarkets one till/checkout is labelled '15 items or fewer', quite correctly, instead of using 'less',

and it can easily be argued that 'math' is the correct abbreviation of 'mathematics', and not 'maths'.....

What is the proportion of incorrect English usage, to correct. You do the math (sorry couldn't resist)  

40 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

oo- what about 'different to', ( so I say "it's similar from"  )

and, in Parliament particularly:   "we will insure this happens"  .....ggrrrr....

[pedant mode] shouldn't that be ensure? [/pedant mode]  

The one that bugs me constantly is "unique". Everything seems to be unique these days, even frequently qualified with "very". If something is unique there is only one of it, so "very unique" is meaningless. On the antiques programs, which I generally enjoy, "unique" is trotted out for almost anything even slightly out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What is the proportion of incorrect English usage, to correct. You do the math (sorry couldn't resist)  

[pedant mode] shouldn't that be ensure? [/pedant mode]  

Yes!!  that's what I mean Mike!!

Two separate words that don't mean the same thing...why try and combine their usage into 'insure'?

Doesn't make sense to me...

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

The one that bugs me constantly is "unique". Everything seems to be unique these days, even frequently qualified with "very". If something is unique there is only one of it, so "very unique" is meaningless. On the antiques programs, which I generally enjoy, "unique" is trotted out for almost anything even slightly out of the ordinary.

Yes yes yes!! This afternoon I had a friend reckon that the console I've nearly finished is "pretty unique' and I pressed the button.....!

• Like 1

Yes!!  that's what I mean Mike!!

Two separate words that don't mean the same thing...why try and combine their usage into 'insure'?

Doesn't make sense to me...

I agree, it's completely wrong. As you say, two totally different meanings which could potentially cause confusion. 

Yes yes yes!! This afternoon I had a friend reckon that the console I've nearly finished is "pretty unique' and I pressed the button.....!

"Distinctly unusual" might be a better way to put it.