British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Edward iv

having a discussion with someone selling this, to me it looks like a repro, thoughts welcome 

149563829_3693446217406190_300979109533283920_n.jpg

149506213_3693446284072850_2384050146490377514_n.jpg

As far as I know a touch piece was a gold angel - a king would be unlikely to use silver - its a curency shilling anyway.

I seriously doubt its original as well it just looks "wrong" could just have been badly cleaned - but its in a plastic "Tomb" so you would have to take it out .

I remember seeing a holed example on a maket stall in leek staffs , it was in GVF far superior to your and the vender only wanted a hundred for it , I was broke at the time so I passed on it but it was well worth a hundred.

I hope you never paid much for it ..........Mint mark is a Tun

Stress fracture points to it being genuine though

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

I thought any decent slabing company would reject holed or cleaned coins .

Is the slabbing company run by a gang of fraudsters?

Well, the slab is interesting; seems they are a new slabbing company, in the early stages of development. 
https://www.facebook.com/UKCG-Coin-Grading-Service-106479238102082/

To me the coin is probably genuine, but not a ‘touch piece’ of course.

Jerry

6 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I thought any decent slabing company would reject holed or cleaned coins .

To be fair, no grade is given on the slab.

Someone starting a new grading company. Interesting. Not yet taking any paid business though. 

26 minutes ago, copper123 said:

As far as I know a touch piece was a gold angel - a king would be unlikely to use silver - its a curency shilling anyway.

I seriously doubt its original as well it just looks "wrong" could just have been badly cleaned - but its in a plastic "Tomb" so you would have to take it out .

I remember seeing a holed example on a maket stall in leek staffs , it was in GVF far superior to your and the vender only wanted a hundred for it , I was broke at the time so I passed on it but it was well worth a hundred.

I hope you never paid much for it ..........Mint mark is a Tun

Stress fracture points to it being genuine though

no i wasn't interested init, just looks like a repro and he was asking £165 for it

6 minutes ago, craigy said:

no i wasn't interested init, just looks like a repro and he was asking £165 for it

Holed, corroded and split/cracked makes 165 a tad optimistic. £50-60 maybe.

Edited by Rob

10 hours ago, jelida said:

To me the coin is probably genuine, but not a ‘touch piece’ of course.

I like to think that there would have been a contemporary significance with the ‘holey’ Ed.VI pieces. As a memento of a young King taken early, or as a talisman worn in the hope of preventing a return to Catholicism perhaps?

49 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Bare hands?

I see that they DO wear gloves when handling the slabs😬

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sword said:

To be fair, no grade is given on the slab.

Someone starting a new grading company. Interesting. Not yet taking any paid business though. 

I always thought slabbing was about providing a grade to identify a coins value  (Am I wrong)?

After all they have already missidentified it so the least they could do was grade it .

They seem incapable of even giving the mint mark (They did get the value right at 1 shilling)

From memory tun was used from 1551-53 if my memory serves me right

Thats a really good idea ,use a video done by another grading company and promote them on our facebook group.

The video is an NGC one and not there own 😮

Edited by PWA 1967

"Not taking on any paid business"

Would anyone pay for such poor descriptions and rubbish service?

Doubt it

There again the could always avertise that they are the gradeing service that takes forgeries , cleaned and holed coins - that could be their little speciality

Edited by copper123