British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Consensus on contact marks 1844 Victoria Crown

3 hours ago, Sword said:

As Eric has pointed out, the weakness of strike does complicate grading of Young Head. For me, eye appeal for this series is as important as grading. Just out of interest, I have been to the DNW website and look at some examples. Then again no auction house's grading is always right or consistent. 

The example below was graded as GEF, sold for £1350 in 2013 and so would be much much more expensive today. A very impressive specimen.

907625988_GEF13502013-Copy.jpg.e764b936fd56ec68393b062d1f5feb63.jpg

Wow that reverse - stunning

• Like 1

I would more concerned about the quality of the surfaces on several of the coins posted here. The first one posted by Sword is the best of the group posted.

While I like these larger format crowns, I am not prepared to part with the funds for them and believe they are scarce but not rare. As an example I really like the 1839 half crowns in proof with the deep cameo contrast of the devices. I will try to post later an example (without stealing the topic of OP) with what I have termed "aluminum foil" appearance.

Wow.....

Yes, I agree- you have to have a good strike before anything else.

I've seen Kings Norton pennies in Unc that have not attracted me _at all_ because of the soft appearance,

and if I could go back I time I would go back about eight years and buy that bloody 1866 penny I saw and chickened out on-

very very dark, almost black, but the strike on the obverse.....oh man.....I still regret not having just prodded the button on that one...so so pleasing.....

you could have stared at it for hours........

52 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

and if I could go back I time I would go back about eight years and buy that bloody 1866 penny I saw and chickened out on-

very very dark, almost black, but the strike on the obverse.....oh man.....I still regret not having just prodded the button on that one...so so pleasing.....

you could have stared at it for hours........

I bought a GEF 1862 with a very very dark reverse with a wide rim that was specimen-like - but it was only £1 from a Yank seller at the Midland!

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 9:00 PM, VickySilver said:

E33A7B04-0AB2-4315-8EFB-80F4A1F6BE63.jpeg

BABB6E75-5B88-494E-84EE-85D0ED9089B4.jpeg

Phenomenal coin!

• Like 1

Thanks on the complements on the 1/2 crown, and not to derail the OP but I bet you can't guess the grade (as it is slabbed, good or bad) - this coin has no hairlines at any angle in any light, original surfaces and no cabinet friction....

• Like 1

It must be something really unexpected. 

PF62? (61 would be my second guess)

63 Deep Cameo. I was in shock as in all lights and angles and with even 30x mag it is virtually flawless with no marks other than in relief as the die was not perfect. I looked at another graded 67DCAM and of course I was biased but felt this one gave up none to it and has a most unusual original surface with a beautiful sort of toning. I probably never would have slabbed it but the years are passing by and who knows (bit morbid).

One example of a die flaw is the longitudinal line about 2/3 of the way toward the back of the neck and the several spots seen on Vick and scattered in the field.

• Sad 1

I guess the number doesn't matter now as it is in collection. But the option of resubmitting it always exists when it is time to move it on. Deep Cameo is always so impressive an older coin with no contact marks. 

I believe the price differential if what I am reading is correct is 6k USD versus 20+ k. USD! The Baldwin discussion on YouTube alluded to that phenomenon and thought it well balanced.