British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

mick1271

1837 and 1845 pennies

Looking for a couple to complete my date run. Not looking for anything great .Fair to fine will do .As long as they are not holed , polished or corroded  .

On 2/1/2021 at 7:16 PM, mick1271 said:

Looking for a couple to complete my date run. Not looking for anything great .Fair to fine will do .As long as they are not holed , polished or corroded  .

There's a nice one going at the March LCA - link to

Although it's a bit more than fair to fine, so might be more than you're willing to pay.

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

There's a nice one going at the March LCA - link to

Although it's a bit more than fair to fine, so might be more than you're willing to pay.

I saw that one .Yeh ,it is a bit more than I would be willing to pay .There is a low grade one in a mixed lot , but ,I don't fancy bidding on a lot just for one coin that might be lower grade than I would be happy with . I will get them eventually (in a grade and price I am happy with) ,might just take a while .

• Like 1

Finally got an 1837 , just an 1845 left to get .

• Like 2

both dates are a lot scarcer than many realise

52 minutes ago, copper123 said:

both dates are a lot scarcer than many realise

I thought after getting the 1843 , 49 and 56 ,they would be easier . I did see a few 1837's , but they were either high grade (and out of my price range) or went for more than I thought they were worth . I  was 2nd bidder 3 times in a row on ebay (at over £70) for ones that were less than fine , but of a grade I could live with.Book price of a Fine 1845 is £15 , but that is highly unrealistic .I will hopefully  get one about Fine for £50-60 .........eventually .

I found one in a bargain bin at york for £5 in near fine a few years ago , ended up selling it for £30 no problem. 1845 penny that is

Edited by copper123

All of which makes this one, which I got "for free" in a job lot a few months back, even more surprising!

1845 D 1 Red.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

All of which makes this one, which I got "for free" in a job lot a few months back, even more surprising!

1845 D 1 Red.JPG

Sometimes you just get lucky .I will get one eventually , so I will just plod along upgrading the rest of my collection as I go.

Would grade that as attractive vf , would be higher but for the marks on the queens face , do I see a trace of lustre around the date?

Yes - just a little lustre there. Reverse is, if anything, better than the obverse.

It has got me worrying slightly - this one went into my collection as an upgrade and I cannot locate the one it replaced. I probably sold it at market, but quite likely too cheap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GVF for me.

Finally got an 1845. That's me completed my penny date run . Now to upgrade them lol .