British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Counterfeit Elizabeth I Halfpenny

Happy New Year everyone.

See a good number of these around. Contemporary I’d think, certainly not Crown coinage.

eBay 353313505402

4DF4D970-F54C-4BDA-A0DB-95F0FEE9FF89.jpeg

184996B0-8D1A-45DA-BBF1-CF55A7A247A9.jpeg

Portcullis looks wrong , but otherside is quite convincing .

• Like 2

Agreed.

Oh, and happy new year to you too Stu. Long time no see etc.

• Like 1

Either its a china copy (which means its recent ) or a hoard of contemp forgeries has turned up .

I would guess if its base silver the latter is more likely .

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Either its a china copy (which means its recent ) or a hoard of contemp forgeries has turned up .

I would guess if its base silver the latter is more likely .

Just for clarification, when I say ‘I’ve seen a good number of these around,’ I mean a good number of types of counterfeit E1 halfpennies. :) 

There may also be a lot of this particular type around, I don’t know for sure because I haven’t had my eye on it for a couple of years!

This one’s for sale by John Newman...IIRC he’s previously had other counterfeit (contemporary or otherwise) hammered for sale, and I think the idea was at the time that they were pretty obvious and he ought to know better. I’ll see if I can track that conversation down...otherwise I’ll have to retract this paragraph.

Edited by Coinery