British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Matteo95

Help ID Scottish coin

Hi all,

Any help for this coin would be very appreciated, unfortunately I don't own any book on the subject. Thanks :)

The material seems to be silver

Weight: 1.54g 

Diameter: 20 mm

IMG_20210111_225754.jpg

Eighth coinage, 1603 quarter merk. Spink 5499. I don't know anything about them, but the weight is about right for a slightly clipped  coin (a full weight merk is 104.75 grains) and the metal is 916 silver. The price in the last Spink book is 125 fine and 425 VF.

• Like 1

Nothing like as scarce as a £500 price ticket would suggest! A quick search on Ebay's completed listings finds two of similar period sold for £50 and £60.

EG: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-James-VI-quarter-thistle-merk-Scottish-hammered-Coin-1601-/353341519725?hash=item5244cbb76d%3Ag%3AJTkAAOSw-6xfQUWF&nma=true&si=sdsWcVmnWAUu62OHx12jAVvAjjE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and while the condition of yours may be slightly better, not enough for a 10x increase. - in my view.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Paddy 

I guess you're right, I thought that price could be high too ... Even if it seems that the coins was sold (but they are a great dealer).

In any case the date 1603 seems to be quite hard to find compared to the 1601 and 1602. I tried to see on the traditional online archives like acsearch or sixbid's archive and I found just an other 1603 quarter merk sold by DNW with two 1/8 merk 1062 in 2017. 

• Like 1