British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

2018 50p Next big thing?

Just noticed that 2018 shield 50ps are all the rage on the internet at the moment - I managed to find three in circulation so I dont think I have done too badly .

They seem to fetch anything from £25 - £40.00 at the moment but as we know from experience these things tend to snowball (at this time of the year especially) LOL.

Happy hunting

4 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Just noticed that 2018 shield 50ps are all the rage on the internet at the moment - I managed to find three in circulation so I dont think I have done too badly .

They seem to fetch anything from £25 - £40.00 at the moment but as we know from experience these things tend to snowball (at this time of the year especially) LOL.

Happy hunting

You have done well as none were struck for circulation.

Sorry yes - I made a little mistake its a 2017 50p thats a rare one just looked and its not fetching much of a premium :(

Still if I wait.............

It looks like the 1969 50p is the next thing. One just sold on EBay for £15.00..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Worn out places, worn out faces

On 5/16/2021 at 7:15 PM, Iannich48 said:

It looks like the 1969 50p is the next thing. One just sold on EBay for £15.00..

The 1970 must be quite difficult to locate in top grade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The 1970 must be quite difficult to locate in top grade.

Yes - the same auction lot that had a few UNC 1981 10p's also had a handful of UNC 1970 50p's. Luckily there was little competition for them in the 90s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes - the same auction lot that had a few UNC 1981 10p's also had a handful of UNC 1970 50p's. Luckily there was little competition for them in the 90s.

I never once saw an EF or UNC 1970 50p in change for all the time up to their demonetisation. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I never once saw an EF or UNC 1970 50p in change for all the time up to their demonetisation. 

Yes. It's weird, the actual mintage is only small (19m) compared to 1969, but I guess people put the 1969s aside but not the 1970. Your average Joe would have wanted the first year I guess, and mintage figures were only relevant to collectors.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 10:13 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Yes. It's weird, the actual mintage is only small (19m) compared to 1969, but I guess people put the 1969s aside but not the 1970. Your average Joe would have wanted the first year I guess, and mintage figures were only relevant to collectors.

Remember a fifty pence coin in 1970 was not exactly small change, wages back then for many could be quite low , no minimum wage remember  , a fifty pence back then was worth £5 or more now.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, copper123 said:

Happy hunting

Much lower mintage than the 2016 shield as well and they now fetch 50+.

• Like 1