British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
newgold

type of wood for cases

what kind of wood is used for coin cases. I do a bit od woodwork and fancy making some cases for my silver/gold coins

Mahogany is the one, the best by far and the only one many people trust (many other woods emit oils and this can harm coins, pine being a definate no, no)

Another important note, when making the cabinet it's fine to wax and finish the outside and all, but when doing the coin trays themselves and the inside of the cabinet it's best to leave it natural. No stain!

Staining the outside is fine.

well another way is make in pine but line the inside with cloth/velvet.

mahogany is not that easy to get a hold of now and the cost is quite prohibitive, perhaps though you can buy a wrecked table or something at an auction and break it up for the wood

but new mahogany is truly expensive many types been now illegal to import as it comes mainly from rainforests.its costing 70 pounds a metre for mahogany parky flooring now.

Edited by jimmy_goodfella

I think I would be concerned with any adhesives used as well... I think some of those can leave unpleasant residues that can spread...