British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

2020 penny

I've just received my first 2020 1p in my change today. I haven't seen any 2018/2019 1p or 2p - have others ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49275300

None were struck for circulation from what i can see in 2018 & 2019 ,the 2018 are also confirmed as none being struck for circulation in the Royal mint mintage figures.

So they will just be in the sets.

https://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/home3/currency/uk-currency/mintages/

Edited by PWA 1967

I've spent so little cash in the shops this / last year I can barely remember the last time I got change of any description. :lol:

Edited by mrbadexample

Found a 2020 at least two months ago there are plenty around

I think they should abolish the almost worthless coppers!

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

😮 we've had a penny (of some sort, on and off) since Roman Britain ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Did you see what he called you @copper123 ? :o

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JLS said:

I agree with Peck that copper coins are rather pointless these days. But we will produce them in sets and so the penny will never disappear . It's rather like the sovereign and will always be available to collectors. 

And funny enough they are not copper but bronze plated steel

There is a good case for just not minting anymore and letting them circulate till they die a slow death .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

And funny enough they are not copper but bronze plated steel

There is a good case for just not minting anymore and letting them circulate till they die a slow death .

The plating is actually very thick at 25 microns. Hence, at least it will never wear off from the limited circulation it is likely to get. 

1997245971_copper-plated-image-Copy.jpg.5e4cadca12a7ae273b10d7d5b5bcbaa6.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sword said:

The plating is actually very thick at 25 microns. Hence, at least it will never wear off from the limited circulation it is likely to get. 

1997245971_copper-plated-image-Copy.jpg.5e4cadca12a7ae273b10d7d5b5bcbaa6.jpg

I'm sure it will on some examples...as the decimal coinage becomes older, unless the size of the coins changes again, these denominations will be worn out. There were a lot of old round pound coins in Poor or Fair circulating ten years ago; and if you look at the contents of your wallet regularly, even the late 1990s Maklouf cupronickel can turn up pretty rough. If we keep these smaller denominations I imagine they will continue to circulate for a long while before anyone thinks to remove them from circulation. I've received 19th century base metal coins in change in Switzerland before. 

49 minutes ago, JLS said:

I'm sure it will on some examples...as the decimal coinage becomes older, unless the size of the coins changes again, these denominations will be worn out. There were a lot of old round pound coins in Poor or Fair circulating ten years ago; and if you look at the contents of your wallet regularly, even the late 1990s Maklouf cupronickel can turn up pretty rough. If we keep these smaller denominations I imagine they will continue to circulate for a long while before anyone thinks to remove them from circulation. I've received 19th century base metal coins in change in Switzerland before. 

Your more likely to find USA old coins in your change , in the us of course.

"Coppers" in this country dont tend to circulate much as they are hoarded in tins , glass bottles etc , this accounts for a lot of 25 year old + coins with lustre apearing every so often

Edited by copper123

22 hours ago, JLS said:

Yes, keep the name but apply it to something else. The original d was a denarius, a silver coin. Perhaps the 10p could become a 'penny'?

13 hours ago, Sword said:

I agree with Peck that copper coins are rather pointless these days. But we will produce them in sets and so the penny will never disappear . It's rather like the sovereign and will always be available to collectors. 

Yes, they could be just in sets for the time being - the denomination could therefore be 'one pence' and not a 'penny' as such. After all, a penny has been a silver denarius, a Saxon sceat, a small medieval silver coin, a Maundy denomination, a copper trade token, several types of copper coin, then a bronze, finally a (now worthless) steel decimal 'bronze'.

You do realise that the 1p is now worth less in real terms than the farthing was when demonetised in 1960?

• Like 1

I have checked using an inflation calculator previously. 1 pound in 1961 is worth £22.43 today. So a farthing would be worth 2.3 pence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I have checked using an inflation calculator previously. 1 pound in 1961 is worth £22.43 today. So a farthing would be worth 2.3 pence. 

So that's nearly 2 and a half times the value of 1p ! Even the 2p is worth less than a farthing.

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

So that's nearly 2 and a half times the value of 1p ! Even the 2p is worth less than a farthing.

Isn’t the metal value of the 2p coin actually worth about 3.5p?

19 hours ago, richtips86 said:

Yes, the pre-1990s issues made of bronze, not the contemporary copper-plated steel. 

On 1/13/2021 at 10:16 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, keep the name but apply it to something else. The original d was a denarius, a silver coin. Perhaps the 10p could become a 'penny'?

I'd quite like to knock a zero off all our prices - it would be fun to actually buy things for pennies again. Not sure if it would cause any real inconvenience, other countries have redenominated a couple of times recently (Turkey I think is the worst offender). 

When I was visiting Wales, there were cafes where you can pay using Victorian pennies. You can exchange current coins for Victorian pennies with the modern values stamped on one side. The menu had two price lists: one for modern money and one for people using the "old money". Just a bit of fun.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:16 PM, Peckris 2 said:

But I don't think it is worth causing suspicion and confusion for a bit of sentiment though. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:38 AM, richtips86 said:

Maybe that a tip on how to become rich by richtips86

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:03 AM, Sword said:

But I don't think it is worth causing suspicion and confusion for a bit of sentiment though. 

Maybe. But it would be a shame to lose a denomination we've had for 2000 years - it's just a matter of knowing which coin to apply the name to.

Yes, it is a truly historic denomination. But it will undoubtedly survive even if it will no longer be a circulating denomination. I rather like the idea of having gold bullion coins called pennies. Such items would commemorate the penny as a once important denomination. They are now just copper plated steel coins that no one want in their pockets.  

On 1/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, Sword said:

Yes, it is a truly historic denomination. But it will undoubtedly survive even if it will no longer be a circulating denomination. I rather like the idea of having gold bullion coins called pennies. Such items would commemorate the penny as a once important denomination. They are now just copper plated steel coins that no one want in their pockets.  

Though it's a long time since people referred to currency coins as "pennies". For years and years now they've been Trump's running mate.

• Haha 1

People would stay say "I collect pennies" though. 

22 hours ago, Sword said:

People would stay say "I collect pennies" though. 

Yes, but not the current currency ones, and they are the ones that could (should) be abolished.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:36 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Do not defund the police.

• Haha 2