British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
blakeyboy

Sparrowhawk!

This beauty flew across on my way down the lane to the workshop.

I pulled out a cheap Lumix, 12x zoom, and click.....I'm really pleased - normally all I get is a tiny fuzzy speck....

Sparrowhawks are astonishingly beautiful up close- so many shades from cream to dark brown, particularly the wing covers.

If you had to do a Painting by Numbers of this you would have a hundred pots of paint!

P1040794 3.jpeg

P1040794 2.jpeg

• Like 5

Yes definitely a Kestrel . They used to be extremely common , but I see more Sparrowhawks than Kestrels nowadays .Starting to make a comeback  .

12594602_215308952152758_1133442315_n.jpg

Edited by mick1271

That should be a video of a Sparrowhawk with a pigeon , but I don't seem to be able to add it .

You know, looking again- you both may be right- it has that big eye of a kestrel- I only saw it fly past whilst driving, so I didn't see the 

classic sparrowhawk tail -  it certainly is the biggest kestrel I'v ever seen- maybe fluffed up against the cold?

It looked big as it flew past....

Will keep all the other birds away if it becomes a regular.