British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JLS

East India Company/Isle of Man mule fantasy coin ? Dated 1835

Hello and hope you've had a Happy Xmas ! 

I recently found this thing in a bulk lot of coins off eBay. It looks like a modern fantasy to me, but it's curious. Struck, nearly 15 grams on a 28 mm flan, obverse looks like a die transfer from a 20 cash, the reverse is a triskeles motif as per the coinage of the Isle of Man. Whoever made it has done a very decent job of making it look circulated. I can't find it listed anywhere. Has anyone seen one of these before ?  

I'm aware of the rare Soho mule Isle of Man/EIC pieces but this is about as far from a Boulton issue as you can get in terms of quality !

EIC Manx rev.JPG

EIC Manx obv.JPG

That triskelion is from the Onchan POW tokens:

Onchan.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

That triskelion is from the Onchan POW tokens:

Onchan.jpg

Excellent - so definitely post 1945 then ! I wonder whether it's part of the series of fantasies made for J. Schofield of Rochdale in the 1960s...have been trying to find the copies of the Douglas bazaar tokens without any success, they appear to be rarer than the originals. 

5 hours ago, JLS said:

I wonder whether it's part of the series of fantasies made for J. Schofield of Rochdale in the 1960s...have been trying to find the copies of the Douglas bazaar tokens without any success, they appear to be rarer than the originals. 

I've not heard of these fantasies. Can you point me in the direction of any information on them please? :)

4 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I've not heard of these fantasies. Can you point me in the direction of any information on them please? :)

There's not much about - not in Quarmby etc. Have a look at the Isle of Man section of the Withers' "Token Book 2" for illustrations of the Douglas bazaar fantasises.  

• Like 1