British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Edward VIII penny for sale

Click here

Price on application, apparently. I haven't asked.

Any thoughts on what the price might be?  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Click here

Price on application, apparently. I haven't asked.

Any thoughts on what the price might be?  

I will just slobber over it , too much for me .......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

I will just slobber over it , too much for me .......

Me too.

It's the same coin which sold at the Spink Waterbird collection in September 2019 for £111k. 

Also, I think the seller may be @The Coinery (Guy) who used to post here. If it is, he sold me a very nice GEF with lustre F79 for £250 in 2017. Not to be confused with "Coinery" (Stuart)

Edited by 1949threepence

I don't think a lot of spares out there!

• Like 1

https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2019/rare-king-edward-viii-s-abdication-coin-makes-uk-auction-record/

An article regarding the penny after the Spinks auction.

• Like 1

I guess that after the sovereign sold by the RM to a private collector for the "modest sum" of 1 million,  the price of this penny could rise subsequently. 

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Thanks, very interesting.

14 hours ago, Matteo95 said:

I guess that after the sovereign sold by the RM to a private collector for the "modest sum" of 1 million,  the price of this penny could rise subsequently. 

I would imagine that the famous 1933 penny is always going to be more desirable than an Edward VIII. The last one was sold in 2016 for £151k by  Heritage. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the 1933 would auction for more today (particularly due to the weakness of pound sterling). 

20 minutes ago, secret santa said:

The customer base for these sorts of coins must be incredibly small ???

There's more than one collector with adequate funds to throw at the hobby, and there's fewer coins than sufficiently liquid collectors to fill the demand. Even half a dozen potential collectors in total would send the price sky high, and I'm sure there's more than that.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, secret santa said:

The customer base for these sorts of coins must be incredibly small ???

Most of us would have to re-mortgage our houses to raise the kind of cash needed. I wonder if it originally went to a foreign buyer, and whether it will again.

Same with the 1933 penny sold by Heritage in 2016.

Presumably it could be of interest to investors too. The Edward VIII went to "a British collector in the room at The Waterbird Collection" in 2019

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Same with the 1933 penny sold by Heritage in 2016.

And this one went to Wales.

3 hours ago, Sword said:

Presumably it could be of interest to investors too. The Edward VIII went to "a British collector in the room at The Waterbird Collection" in 2019

50 minutes ago, secret santa said:

And this one went to Wales.

Reassuring that the coins remained in UK hands.

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Reassuring that the coins remained in UK hands.

There is a advanced collector in Cardiff, who is always in the bidding for very rare British coins. He is the one who bought my 1877 narrow date Penny!

9 hours ago, Sword said:

I would imagine that the famous 1933 penny is always going to be more desirable than an Edward VIII. The last one was sold in 2016 for £151k by  Heritage. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the 1933 would auction for more today (particularly due to the weakness of pound sterling). 

You know their market better than me so I guess you're right ... I think that probably today both coins could be sold to a higher amount due to the fact that the numismatic market has grown a lot during last years and even months. 

11 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

There is a advanced collector in Cardiff, who is always in the bidding for very rare British coins. He is the one who bought my 1877 narrow date Penny!

He's got several of that type hasn't he Bob?

On another note, I understand that offers in the region of £160k are being looked for as far as the Edward VIII is concerned.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

He's got several of that type hasn't he Bob?

On another note, I understand that offers in the region of £160k are being looked for as far as the Edward VIII is concerned.    

Mike, I don't think I will be bidding on the Edward VIII Penny...I would have to mortgage my house to participate! LOL...

• Like 1