British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chingford

The 1847 ‘Medusa’ Copper penny

Spoke to Michael this morning, He is making available his article on the CP1847 Medusa, a significant and recent Copper Penny find, details on the link 

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/CP1847M-Medusa.htm

cp1847C-rev-A1.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for flagging this up as I had not seen it and will certainly buy a copy.  It will make a good stocking filler!

As I look at this, the "medusa" head looks like it might well be a single die that was engraved, and somewhat crudely at that.

On 12/11/2020 at 4:16 PM, Chingford said:

Spoke to Michael this morning, He is making available his article on the CP1847 Medusa, a significant and recent Copper Penny find, details on the link 

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/CP1847M-Medusa.htm

cp1847C-rev-A1.gif

Edited by Cliff
Finger trouble!

Received my copy yesterday. Great on detail and presentation. Thank you Michael.

Received my copy today. Very useful, well laid out and informative.

Two observations:-

1/ Is it possible that the designer actually did intend the face to be that of a lion, rather than Medusa or Athena, but so comprehensively ballsed it up that the design was never used in 1841, and only accidentally used for a very short run in 1847?

2/ In the list of names at the back, Jack of Coopers Coins, is actually (I believe) Jack Relph, not Jack Cooper. I have his business card in front of me confirming that. 

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Is it possible that the designer actually did intend the face to be that of a lion,

It definitely appears more human

473259251_1847MedusaHBzoom2.jpg.2b25fd6f7644d4f9082bd60d28c53164.jpg

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Is it possible that the designer actually did intend the face to be that of a lion

No, definitely a lamb.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

No, definitely a lamb.

But not one called Larry............. 

• Haha 1