British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jon Hill

Can you ID this coin/token (no one else can)

Guest Jon Hill

Hi,

I have unearthed a coin in a field in the UK using my metal detector and can't find out what it is. It is made of copper alloy, 34mm across and looks like a penny token. When I typed the legend into Google I got the following info back.

“Calvert seems to have been so thoroughly imbued with this idea of establishing Christianity in the New World, that it lends a tinge to each incident of his enterprise. Thus we find that he gave the name “The Ark of Avalon†to his principal ship, and that of “The Dove†to her pinnace. On a coin which he had stamped is seen a thorn with the motto “Spina Sanctus†(sanctified by the thorn). It shows on the obverse side a harp or lyre, surrounded by a wreath of bay leaves and bearing the inscriptions, beneath the lyre “Orpheus,†and above, the Greek legend “The air is the best†(Ariston men Aer). There are a mitre, crosier and cross, and a shiled with a thorn and oak. On the margin are the words “Pro Patria et Avalonia.â€

The coin described in the text is the same as the one I have. I have found info on other coins minted by Cecil Calvert (Lord Baltimore) on the web but can't find this one. I was wondering if it was valuable at all?

Cheers,

Jon

heya

best you post a picture of it.

i would love to take up metal detecting but with my coin hobby and fishing and work i just cant find the time, it must be great hobby to do.

post the pic will help all to identify and if they cant here then god knows where ya will identify it.

sounds like a token there were so many of these tokens made seemed every factory,mine,church,butchers shop, made tokens as well as tokens to commemerate all kind of bridges , military succeses, people ect.

i find it fascinating that in times coin collecting wasint as pro active as today this was the case.where now this is not done.

Use the 'File Attachments' area when you make a posting.

Dr Sriro will know,

Email him, tell him I sent you, and ask if he wouldn't mind looking at the pictures you have:

gsriro @ adelphia.net

(remove the spaces either side of @ first)

Hi,

Gary Sirio says its NOT one of the 7000+ Conder Tokens struck in the British Isles between 1787 and 1804, he has given me another expert to contact, I'll post the result when I get it.

I think its in pretty good condition considering its been in the ground for around 200 years!. It's actually better then it looks in the pictures. I expect it could be tided up a bit, but I'll leave it alone until I know it is worthless!

Jon

Guest Gregory S Ingram

This token has a history taking it to FerryLand and the colony of Avalonia in Newfoundland in the 1620's.

I am doing some serious research on this piece. It may be very helpful to me to know where exactly you found the piece in England.

I know time has passed, but I hope the converstion will still continue

Thanks

Greg

Hi,

I have unearthed a coin in a field in the UK using my metal detector and can't find out what it is. It is made of copper alloy, 34mm across and looks like a penny token. When I typed the legend into Google I got the following info back.

“Calvert seems to have been so thoroughly imbued with this idea of establishing Christianity in the New World, that it lends a tinge to each incident of his enterprise. Thus we find that he gave the name “The Ark of Avalon†to his principal ship, and that of “The Dove†to her pinnace. On a coin which he had stamped is seen a thorn with the motto “Spina Sanctus†(sanctified by the thorn). It shows on the obverse side a harp or lyre, surrounded by a wreath of bay leaves and bearing the inscriptions, beneath the lyre “Orpheus,†and above, the Greek legend “The air is the best†(Ariston men Aer). There are a mitre, crosier and cross, and a shiled with a thorn and oak. On the margin are the words “Pro Patria et Avalonia.â€

The coin described in the text is the same as the one I have. I have found info on other coins minted by Cecil Calvert (Lord Baltimore) on the web but can't find this one. I was wondering if it was valuable at all?

Cheers,

Jon

post-4598-1238012938_thumb.jpg

post-4598-1238012954_thumb.jpg

Guest Gregory S Ingram
Hi,

Cheers,

Jon

post-4598-1238201996_thumb.jpg

Guest hlg
This token has a history taking it to FerryLand and the colony of Avalonia in Newfoundland in the 1620's.

I am doing some serious research on this piece. It may be very helpful to me to know where exactly you found the piece in England.

Thanks

Greg

Hi,

Cheers,

Jon

Guest hlg

Hi there

We have also come across one of these coins and are very interested to find out more information regarding it

Can you supply us with more details?

Hazel & Kevin

Thanks

Greg

Hi,

Cheers,

Jon