British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Ukstu

Changes to Treasure laws in UK

New regulations coming in with regard to Treasure laws. Caused quite a stink within metal detecting circles. 

There's concerns about stuff being seized if you post it on social media. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55179360

Easy to fix then _ DON'T GO ON IT  , SIMPLES

• Like 2

Detect alone and keep quiet about what you find, assuming you want to hold onto it. After all, by definition, it's not as if it will ever have been reported missing, or be identifiable with any legit owner. Not a living one any rate.

Nor would anyone have the remotest clue where you dug it up if you chose not to tell them. You could say your back garden and it couldn't be disproved.

Not that I'm suggesting the law should be broken, just pointing out how easy it would be if you work alone and simply keep the find. 

I don't have a problem with it myself.

It was just people getting concerned about say a bronze roman coin that may be of an emporer never found in Britain being seized from auction houses or spotted on ebay and seized. Individual coins of rare emporers can fetch a good price at auction way above what any musuem would like to pay. If they don't wish to pay it they could claim it under these new laws. Where is it heading is the big question and what will they now constitute as treasure going forward. 

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport have a task force set up apparently scouring social media , ebay and auction sites looking for items to seize / acquire. 

Edited by Ukstu
Added more info

21 hours ago, Ukstu said:

It was just people getting concerned about say a bronze roman coin that may be of an emporer never found in Britain being seized from auction houses or spotted on ebay and seized. Individual coins of rare emporers can fetch a good price at auction way above what any musuem would like to pay. If they don't wish to pay it they could claim it under these new laws. Where is it heading is the big question and what will they now constitute as treasure going forward.

A single rare bronze, whatever the emperor, wouldn't be classed as treasure trove. In fact, AFAIK, single coins never are.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

A single rare bronze, whatever the emperor, wouldn't be classed as treasure trove. In fact, AFAIK, single coins never are.

As a general rule this is true, though there have been instances of ‘specials’ such as a double weight stater some years ago that was taken on the basis that it was a presentation coin or had some special use and was not currency, similarly a piedfort hammered gold coin. A dubious distinction at best. But one aspect of the latest review is to consider whether to bring within the act individual coins (and artefacts) of particular importance,  as determined by the powers that be and creating a significant gray area and ambiguity for finders and coroners alike. My own suspicion is that this would simply encourage non-reporting and black market sale, quite contrary to the whole ethos of the voluntary reporting scheme. I do have some sympathy with those who are concerned about the potential loss of some remarkable objects to study, which is why I would encourage reporting even with some element of compulsion and time allowed for recording and study, but not necessarily state acquisition against the wishes of the finder/landowner. There are already laws regarding export of antiquities allowing for state purchase to prevent loss to the nation,  and perhaps a register of the whereabouts of known exceptional objects within the country could be obligatory. That might be acceptable to both sides of the argument. But the review is increasingly driven by politicians and curators down an acquisitive route, and I think in the long term this will not be good for the heritage industry or the hobby of metal detecting.

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good post Jerry. Thank you for your detailed response. I personally do not keep anything from my FLO. We have a good rapport as we share the same name. Everything i posted was just generally chit chat I've picked up from detectorists i know. I've been out of the game now for a few years but still have contact with people who actively detect. The main concern from most people is where is it all heading and is the hobby getting restricted slowly. 

Stu. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 4:27 AM, Ukstu said:

Good post Jerry. Thank you for your detailed response. I personally do not keep anything from my FLO. We have a good rapport as we share the same name. Everything i posted was just generally chit chat I've picked up from detectorists i know. I've been out of the game now for a few years but still have contact with people who actively detect. The main concern from most people is where is it all heading and is the hobby getting restricted slowly.

I believe Eddie Grundy might have some valuable advice?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I believe Eddie Grundy might have some valuable advice?

Please do explain? 

8 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Please do explain? 

There is a recent Archers storyline where a Saxon hoard was found in Ambridge, and of course Eddie Grundy is trying by nefarious means to detect the site himself.  I think it’s meant to be a sort of comic relief, while exposing the darker side of metal detecting. Not really particularly helpful to the hobby.

Jerry

• Like 1

Thanks Jerry. 

I'd of never figured that out as don't follow the Archers show. 

Stu. 

• Haha 1