British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coin#addict

1697 William III Sixpence RFX for REX?

What are your opinions on this sixpence please? Is it a  RFX or REX?

Thank you 👍

20200710_131410_copy_645x670.jpg

20200710_131336_copy_645x699.jpg

20200713_112242_copy_645x659.jpg

Edited by Coin#addict
Accidentally put wrong monarch

Looks like someone forgot to add the bottom bar of the E because there isn't any trace of it to suggest die fill, so yes IMO. On a more fundamental note, it is William III and not George III, but I presume you didn't mean to say G3.

• Thanks 1

Could be die damage - if you cast your gaze onwards to the bottom left of the X you will see that it's missing its serif.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Could be die damage - if you cast your gaze onwards to the bottom left of the X you will see that it's missing its serif.

Yes Chris, what I thought too.

Look at the foot of the 'F' in RFX. To the left tapered while to the right cut off short at sharp right angles. Also, the middle and upper horizontal bars match those of the E punch used elsewhere in the legends. Further, the RFX 'F' doesn't match the F in FRA.

Still, nice find all the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

24 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Yes Chris, what I thought too.

Look at the foot of the 'F' in RFX. To the left tapered while to the right cut off short at sharp right angles. Also, the middle and upper horizontal bars match those of the E punch used elsewhere in the legends. Further, the RFX 'F' doesn't match the F in FRA.

Still, nice find all the same.

How about a broken E (and X) punch, with the bottom bar added later for the E of ET but not this one? To my mind it looks as if the bottom bar of that one has been added. I'm struggling with die damage as that would show as raised on the coin if a lump fell off, whereas the field is flat where the bottom arm would be, but then there's no sign of the bottom arm, which would be a remarkable coincidence if the die was filled.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rob said:

How about a broken E (and X) punch, with the bottom bar added later for the E of ET but not this one? To my mind it looks as if the bottom bar of that one has been added. I'm struggling with die damage as that would show as raised on the coin if a lump fell off, whereas the field is flat where the bottom arm would be, but then there's no sign of the bottom arm, which would be a remarkable coincidence if the die was filled.

Yup. Works for me.

Yeah, that's a possibility also.