British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coinkat

1822 Farthing D over D in DEF on reverse

This example also features  a die break that starts at the rim at the second A in BRITANNIAR and that A is filled above the crossbar. The die break extends through the field to the neckline through the bust and ends at the end of the drape from Britannia's arm. While what I have described may not sound that unusual, the D over D is quite striking and there is space within the D and below the D. I suspect there are others and someone here has likely owns one or knows of someone that does. Not sure of the rarity/surviving population

Edited by coinkat

A picture would be good. However, this series is riddled with recut letters/missing serifs etc, so much so that finding an example with well struck perfect letters is quite a difficult task.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

A picture would be good.

@coinkat !!!

Just now, Rob said:

?

Pictures were also missing (at first) in the 1951 Crown topic. It doesn't hurt to remind members that asking us to comment on detail description needs a relevant picture!

I was querying what the @coincat is for. Isn't an at sign something to do with twitter? - which is nothing to do with this forum.

I don' do twitter... I have not posted a picture of the farthing because I do not have a picture to post. My sincere apologies. 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I was querying what the @coincat is for. Isn't an at sign something to do with twitter? - which is nothing to do with this forum.

If you prefix a predec member's name with @ it highlights their name - @Rob @Peckris 2 @coinkat. I don't know if that generates a Notification (above)?

Sorry, just wondered if it was a social media auto-pilot thing.i.e. people just use it because they use it elsewhere, or whether it actually provided a function.

No idea if it generates a notification. I've seen a few @Robs before but never received anything in my inbox, so would think not.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Sorry, just wondered if it was a social media auto-pilot thing.i.e. people just use it because they use it elsewhere, or whether it actually provided a function.

No idea if it generates a notification. I've seen a few @Robs before but never received anything in my inbox, so would think not.

You wouldn't get anything in your Inbox (the envelope symbol up top) but you might get a Notification (the bell symbol).

will put on a scan of my coin next day or so

IMG_20201129_0002.thumb.jpg.a3d9597bb4c845ce970d36adcefa1b03.jpgIMG_20201129_0001.jpg

Edited by copper123
Sorry folks i thought I had a nice one but its only fine grade but hey fills a space

In my opinion its only a good one if VF and above but i have still not come across a nice enough one to call it a keeper - strange thing is there is no example in the colin cooke collection so it might be rarer than I think - depends on what someone will pay for one I surpose.

Edited by copper123

Thanks for posting an image... your example is very close to what I have. The main difference may be the die break that is featured in my example. Yours does capture the bold separation in the D. My example has a relatively reasonable to above average portrait of William IIII and I think should easily grade in the VF realm. The reverse is just not as well struck and that likely is attributable the the die break. 

1822 farthing (1).JPG

1822 farthing (2).JPG

• Like 2

William IIII nay nay , yours is a coin I would be happy with , George is what you ment I am sure.

I am not seeing that die flaw though , it looks weekly struck

Edited by copper123

I don't know what I  was thinking... George IIII

Mrbadexample posted a notsobadexample. Seriously... it is quite nice and clearly better than mine... especially the reverse. I don't see the die break and the second A  in BRITANNIAR is not filled.

12 hours ago, copper123 said:

In my opinion its only a good one if VF and above but i have still not come across a nice enough one to call it a keeper - strange thing is there is no example in the colin cooke collection so it might be rarer than I think - depends on what someone will pay for one I surpose.

I've had several die varieties in this series which Colin Cooke didn't have examples of; I don't think he was greatly interested in the series. There's a prejudice going back all the way to Bramah that these die variations are so numerous that they are not of interest to collectors; of course, if you applied the same thinking to the bun pennies, there would be no Freeman, Gouby etc. The reality is that this series is notoriously underexplored; you can get £50 or £100 for the more interesting die varieties in nice crisp grade, but not many people appear to be after them in circulated condition right now. 

• Like 1