British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

coinkat

1951 Crown- Type I and Type II reverse

Yes, you can upload 500k per post. You may need a few replies to your own topic to get each picture.

As for your pictures, I assume that 1 and 3 are of the same coins, while 2 and 4 are the same but of different coins?

Yes, sorry, the 1st and 3rd images are the same coins (type 1) 2nd and 4th are the same (type 2). The horse leg and dragon arm were the main elements I saw to differentiate them. 

I had 6 x Type 1 and 9 x Type 2. I don’t recall there being a correlation between the different kinds of boxes. 

• Like 2

Very nice ID there Lotad.   Less detail in the leg and arm = Type I

More detail in leg and arm        = Type II

I think even I can remember that!

• Like 1

There are three varieties

As stated:

Type 1 - full dragon web

Type 2 - dragon web missing

and

Type 3 - no stop after B.P

How many examples of Type 3 have you seen? If only one, I'd wait for more examples before getting excited.

This coin is up my alley but I am sorry that a missed stop on the designer's initials would not merit a separate Type IMO and more likely a filled die or such.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 11:19 PM, Peckris 2 said:

How many examples of Type 3 have you seen? If only one, I'd wait for more examples before getting excited.

I have got one, paid £12 as I really wanted it. So, I haven’t looked for them since I already have one. If there is one there are probably more out there.

1 hour ago, yaaseen said:

I have got one, paid £12 as I really wanted it. So, I haven’t looked for them since I already have one. If there is one there are probably more out there.

Yeah, but it may turn out to be as anti-climactic as the 1961 halfcrown "E.F. missing" turned out to be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yeah, but it may turn out to be as anti-climactic as the 1961 halfcrown "E.F. missing" turned out to be.

I have looked on eBay and spotted a few. And I get for most collectors it might not be exciting (but it is for me, I might be the only one 😂)

• Like 1

Obviously to each his own, but I just don't think many would accept a partially filled die period or comma should be considered as anything but a minor mint error.