British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

John Jerrams' book on Early Bun Pennies

I have recently been talking with John Jerrams about his census of rare pennies and my rare penny site.

He has asked me to let interested collectors know of some corrections to his 2003 edition. For anyone who owns this - "The Early British Bronze 'Bun' Pennies and their Varieties" (With Updated Valuations) 2003 edition, the following corrections apply:

• In the valuations section in the middle of the book, the valuations for Satin 8 and 9 (Freeman 8 and 9) should be switched - F8 is more valuable than F9
  • On page 31, bottom section - the sentence  "Namely, an 1862 specimen, as for Number 38, except that the '2' is struck over a '1'." should read "as for Number 40" (i.e. F39 and not F38).
  • On page 37, nearly halfway down, on the right hand side is a comment "See Note 'q' " with "Page 26" under it. This should read "Page 36" - my own copy already had a corrective sticker over it with Page 36 on it, so other copies may have this sticker.
  • On page 41, the top left diagram, the description "Mis-aligned Colon Dots...Type 1" should read "The line of dashes shows the normal alignment of Colon Dots". Actually, to me the 2 top diagrams look identical to me, so I'll query that with John.

Right, I have to correct what I wrote in the 3rd bullet above.

• On page 41, the top left diagram, the description "Mis-aligned Colon Dots...Type 1" should be followed by the words  "(20). The line of dashes shows the normal alignment of Colon Dots".

The misaligned colon dots are the ones nearest the edge of the cape and there is the most subtle of differences between 20 and 20A with 20A being slightly nearer the cape.

Hope this is clear.

Do these also apply to the earlier booklet he sent out in the late 90s?

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Do these also apply to the earlier booklet he sent out in the late 90s?

For the 1999 edition, only the 4th point (about misaligned colon dots) applies. 

For the 2001 edition, the 2nd point (1862/1) and 4th point both apply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1