British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Steep slabbing premiums

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

This is my ordinary 1926, unslabbed and bought as a BIN from e bay seller Mason 8374 in December 2018, for just £30, which I thought was a bargain.

ordinary penny 1926 rev cropped.jpg

ordinary penny 1926 obv cropped.jpg

Thanks Mike

A perfect example of a picture of a coin and what i was trying to explain and the benefits of sometimes having a coin slabbed to sell it. I am not suggesting anyone pays high prices for slabbed coins , just the fact that if you can sell them for more by spending an extra £20 or so it can often be worth it.

As you have the coin in hand and you can grade properley what grade is it please and can i assume its problem free ?

I will leave a wide grading scale as obviously reflects the possible resale value if it was slabbed......... GEF , AUNC ,UNC, CHOICE UNC ,BU ?

Thanks again.

Pete.

39 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks Mike

A perfect example of a picture of a coin and what i was trying to explain and the benefits of sometimes having a coin slabbed to sell it. I am not suggesting anyone pays high prices for slabbed coins , just the fact that if you can sell them for more by spending an extra £20 or so it can often be worth it.

As you have the coin in hand and you can grade properley what grade is it please and can i assume its problem free ?

I will leave a wide grading scale as obviously reflects the possible resale value if it was slabbed......... GEF , AUNC ,UNC, CHOICE UNC ,BU ?

Thanks again.

Pete.

I'd say it's a/UNC with lustre, problem free. I've got a 1909 almost identical in terms of lustre and overall appearance, which was slabbed as MS63. So I'd say it was about that.

What about yours. What was it graded at and what did it sell for? 

• Like 1

It was a really good buy for £30 👍

They are really hard to find in high grade , one sold slabbed for a premium at LCA graded CGS Choice UNC 82 for £280.

My own was graded by NGC MS65 and then graded by CGS 85 which is a really high grade and the picture not doing it justice.

I Sold it privately ,but was for a lot more than the one graded 82.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

It was a really good buy for £30 👍

They are really hard to find in high grade , one sold slabbed for a premium at LCA graded CGS Choice UNC 82 for £280.

My own was graded by NGC MS65 and then graded by CGS 85 which is a really high grade and the picture not doing it justice.

I Sold it privately ,but was for a lot more than the one graded 82.

Yes, it was, I thought he must have made an error when pricing it. Certainly too good not to buy immediately. 

I think you've vindicated my original point about slabbing premiums though, Pete.   

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, it was, I thought he must have made an error when pricing it. Certainly too good not to buy immediately. 

I think you've vindicated my original point about slabbing premiums though, Pete.   

Sells some good stuff does Mason. I always have a second look at anything with a bubble wrap background. :)

• Like 2

I had no idea they had gone as high. I like the date so much that I have several that are likely "65ish" in RB with nice strikes. I just like the date and was trying to match the ME (which has sadly lost a bit of the mint red lustre after 20 years!!).

Not to derail, but the coins in TPGs that simply must be seen are the 1918 & 1919 H (especially) and KN issues as the actual coins will vary greatly in colour, strike and overall appearance...

1909smaller.jpg1909r-sm.jpg

Another to show how slabbing high grade coins can help them sell at a premium rather than just people going off a photograph.

A couple of nice 1909 Dot have recently been put on the forum and are scarce in grades of better than fine.

Both coins were sold in the public domain ,so happy to share them with the coin on the left selling at LCA and the coin on the right sold on a dealers website for £1500.

Both coins when i sent pictures of both sides to people they thought would sell in the £300 / £500 range which i also thought was about right if the coin on the right was raw.

The coin on the right sold almost straight away and had a couple of offers ,with one person who missed it telling the dealer they would of paid more.

I have sold all the ones i wanted to sell ,so makes know difference to me anymore as dont collect ,however anyone considering selling anything that is mint or high grade for type ,maybe its worth considering slabbing them whether you like the idea or not.

Buying and grading off pictures is not ideal ,especially if the photos are as bad as mine 😃 

41 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

1909smaller.jpg1909r-sm.jpg

Another to show how slabbing high grade coins can help them sell at a premium rather than just people going off a photograph.

A couple of nice 1909 Dot have recently been put on the forum and are scarce in grades of better than fine.

Both coins were sold in the public domain ,so happy to share them with the coin on the left selling at LCA and the coin on the right sold on a dealers website for £1500.

Both coins when i sent pictures of both sides to people they thought would sell in the £300 / £500 range which i also thought was about right if the coin on the right was raw.

The coin on the right sold almost straight away and had a couple of offers ,with one person who missed it telling the dealer they would of paid more.

I have sold all the ones i wanted to sell ,so makes know difference to me anymore as dont collect ,however anyone considering selling anything that is mint or high grade for type ,maybe its worth considering slabbing them whether you like the idea or not.

Buying and grading off pictures is not ideal ,especially if the photos are as bad as mine 😃 

Did either of these 1909 "Dot" coins have the "Dot" notated on the slabbing label?

59 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Did either of these 1909 "Dot" coins have the "Dot" notated on the slabbing label?

The one on the left was RAW and not slabbed Bob ,the one on the right was in a CGS slab and yes the variety was on the label.

• Like 1

Can someone remind me of the approximate costs of slabbing/grading please.

32 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Can someone remind me of the approximate costs of slabbing/grading please.

NGC rates vary depending on your own submission which requires membership, or going through a dealer. If you have only a few coins to do, a dealer would be best value at approx. £30 to £50 each, the first has a ceiling value of £250 and £2500 for the second. These numbers are grading only, and currently take around 2 months to turnaround.

A Price Problem of Slabbed Coins

We completely acknowledge that the industry should have a standard approach to grading, this is a no brainer. We also recognise that the grading of coins helps to preserve high quality coins, as any coin graded is sold on as a graded specimen rather than in a bucket of other similar type coins. This is where things change as once coins enter this slabbed state, we find companies are charging above the odds. For example, we became privy to a 2018 gold Britannia for sale the other day roughly £1500 in a slab. The selling price of this coin is about £950!! Therefore, that is about £550 for a piece of acrylic plastic with some fancy words and "independent authentication". Unreal I hear you say but 100% true. Companies (particularly coin marketing companies) are pushing slabbed coins as a "luxury product" or something like that to get unexpecting customers to part with extra money and we see this type of marketing dishonest and misleading at best. You are simply not getting a higher quality product but are led to believe you are.

Like we said we are advocates of graded coins, but we disagree with hefty mark-ups. If you can buy a slabbed coin for say, £5 or £10 higher then do it, as this is the value we assign to a slab, but anything more is scandalous! Customers who wish to sell slabbed coins back to us are sometimes disappointed as we would pay the same amount for unslabbed coins. We often remove the coins from the slab as they are tedious, add no value and make storing of large volumes difficult. Why not buy a capsule for 50p and achieve the same level of protection for your coins? We have coins valued upwards on £10,000 in a capsule which provides adequate protection, why you would want a newly minted Britannia slabbed rather than a capsule is rather perplexing unless you have more money than sense!

We say that in jest as on a serious note we are here trying our best to educate our readers. We want you to get the best possible deal either from us (or elsewhere) without getting ripped off. There is a growing body of consumer style marketing and hype in numismatics and where we find it, we try to share it on our website. So finally, grading coins and protecting them in plastic is a good thing just avoid buying from anyone who tries to sell you an overpriced coin because of its presentation case!

The above from Chards and absolutely spot on

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

100% agree. I've a lot of time for Chards (anyone collecting in the late 60s on a schoolkid's budget will well remember their previous incarnation as R&L Coins).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Chards have actually started sending gold for grading to NGC, I know this because I know the guy who's doing it 😉

1 hour ago, azda said:

Chards have actually started sending gold for grading to NGC, I know this because I know the guy who's doing it 😉

Well at the end of the day, they're in the business to make money. 

11 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well at the end of the day, they're in the business to make money. 

Yep, I think so far its mostly been gold that's been sent