British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mart

New UNC Coins

That's the 2021 book which is not out yet and will be available from the 31st December according to the listing. The listing is for pre-orders. You can wait for it if you want, but as it comes out every year, you might as well get one and update every two or three years unless you are intent on keeping up with the latest RM issues (which is a mammoth task in itself, given their diarrhoeic output).

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I suggest you get a copy of Spink's Coins of England decimal section, which lists all the decimals since 1968 and is well illustrated for all the denominations. This is the current issue.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPINK-COINS-OF-ENGLAND-2020-DECIMAL-SECTION-ONLY-NEW/133549771118?hash=item1f182fc96e:g:QiAAAOSwSbRfeIMV

I’ve used this seller before, a very reliable and knowledgeable chap 🧐. Don’t forget, you will have to pay postage on the Amazon order if you are not a ‘prime’ member, so the price is about the same.
If decimals are your thing, it is essential. 

Jerry

11 hours ago, jelida said:

I’ve used this seller before, a very reliable and knowledgeable chap 🧐. Don’t forget, you will have to pay postage on the Amazon order if you are not a ‘prime’ member, so the price is about the same.
If decimals are your thing, it is essential. 

Jerry

I'd rather recommend Chris Perkins' Check Your Decimal Change - Spink are absolutely way out in their decimals pricing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd rather recommend Chris Perkins' Check Your Decimal Change - Spink are absolutely way out in their decimals pricing.

Chris also publishes ‘Collectors Coins’ , decimal edition which I believe includes the special issues and commemoratives that many decimal collectors are so enthused by, and it is true the pricings are not exactly the same but they are only guidelines. And it is updated regularly,  ‘Check your Change’ only covers currency issues and has not been updated I believe for some years.

Jerry

Pricing has always been an issue, whatever the publication. All people need is an easy to use list for reference and a feel for how much they should pay based on what the market does, not what a price guide compiler thinks. Making your own list and noting the prices paid for the outliers is probably the best way to do it. You don't need, and it doesn't matter whether one guide says £2 each and the other says £4 if it's a commonly available coin. Just look what people are charging on lists, at coin fairs and wherever else you can glean information, then absorb the info and go shopping.

Don't forget typos can also throw the market. Last year's CoE had a typo for the 1887 YH halfcrown UNC price, giving EF at 300 and UNC at 350 instead of 850. All the other UNC prices are in the 600-900 range which is roughly where the market is. Consequently I've had more than the odd offer from potential buyers to purchase the one I have listed at a more realistic 300 because this is in line with the book (despite being a better date). So people do pay attention to what is written, but clearly give it little thought.

14 hours ago, jelida said:

Chris also publishes ‘Collectors Coins’ , decimal edition which I believe includes the special issues and commemoratives that many decimal collectors are so enthused by, and it is true the pricings are not exactly the same but they are only guidelines. And it is updated regularly,  ‘Check your Change’ only covers currency issues and has not been updated I believe for some years.

Jerry

Yes, that's the book I meant. The actual Check Your Change hasn't existed since predec days, though I believe Chris did borrow the title for the first few years of his decimals book?

7 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, that's the book I meant. The actual Check Your Change hasn't existed since predec days, though I believe Chris did borrow the title for the first few years of his decimals book?

Here's an original:-

check your change.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Here's an original:-

check your change.jpg

Yes, I have that one - a very sobering read! It recognises the 'key dates' of the time, but none of the (e.g.) scarce 50s cupro-nickel which, IIRC, emerged later in the same year as CYC was published.

Hi All

Did you know that Chris has an App

image.png.c197ea1afafa9a73c5538ebc220091f4.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mart said:

Hi All

Did you know that Chris has an App

image.png.c197ea1afafa9a73c5538ebc220091f4.png

I didn't. Wonder if he has a predec app ?

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I didn't. Wonder if he has a predec app ?

Can't see one, unfortunately.

Incidentally, the one above says its designed for the i pad, but it works just as well on an android device. Just installed it on my phone.    

Edited by 1949threepence