British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mart

New UNC Coins

That's the 2021 book which is not out yet and will be available from the 31st December according to the listing. The listing is for pre-orders. You can wait for it if you want, but as it comes out every year, you might as well get one and update every two or three years unless you are intent on keeping up with the latest RM issues (which is a mammoth task in itself, given their diarrhoeic output).

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I suggest you get a copy of Spink's Coins of England decimal section, which lists all the decimals since 1968 and is well illustrated for all the denominations. This is the current issue.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPINK-COINS-OF-ENGLAND-2020-DECIMAL-SECTION-ONLY-NEW/133549771118?hash=item1f182fc96e:g:QiAAAOSwSbRfeIMV

I’ve used this seller before, a very reliable and knowledgeable chap 🧐. Don’t forget, you will have to pay postage on the Amazon order if you are not a ‘prime’ member, so the price is about the same.
If decimals are your thing, it is essential. 

Jerry

11 hours ago, jelida said:

I’ve used this seller before, a very reliable and knowledgeable chap 🧐. Don’t forget, you will have to pay postage on the Amazon order if you are not a ‘prime’ member, so the price is about the same.
If decimals are your thing, it is essential. 

Jerry

I'd rather recommend Chris Perkins' Check Your Decimal Change - Spink are absolutely way out in their decimals pricing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd rather recommend Chris Perkins' Check Your Decimal Change - Spink are absolutely way out in their decimals pricing.

Chris also publishes ‘Collectors Coins’ , decimal edition which I believe includes the special issues and commemoratives that many decimal collectors are so enthused by, and it is true the pricings are not exactly the same but they are only guidelines. And it is updated regularly,  ‘Check your Change’ only covers currency issues and has not been updated I believe for some years.

Jerry

Pricing has always been an issue, whatever the publication. All people need is an easy to use list for reference and a feel for how much they should pay based on what the market does, not what a price guide compiler thinks. Making your own list and noting the prices paid for the outliers is probably the best way to do it. You don't need, and it doesn't matter whether one guide says £2 each and the other says £4 if it's a commonly available coin. Just look what people are charging on lists, at coin fairs and wherever else you can glean information, then absorb the info and go shopping.

Don't forget typos can also throw the market. Last year's CoE had a typo for the 1887 YH halfcrown UNC price, giving EF at 300 and UNC at 350 instead of 850. All the other UNC prices are in the 600-900 range which is roughly where the market is. Consequently I've had more than the odd offer from potential buyers to purchase the one I have listed at a more realistic 300 because this is in line with the book (despite being a better date). So people do pay attention to what is written, but clearly give it little thought.

14 hours ago, jelida said:

Chris also publishes ‘Collectors Coins’ , decimal edition which I believe includes the special issues and commemoratives that many decimal collectors are so enthused by, and it is true the pricings are not exactly the same but they are only guidelines. And it is updated regularly,  ‘Check your Change’ only covers currency issues and has not been updated I believe for some years.

Jerry

Yes, that's the book I meant. The actual Check Your Change hasn't existed since predec days, though I believe Chris did borrow the title for the first few years of his decimals book?

7 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, that's the book I meant. The actual Check Your Change hasn't existed since predec days, though I believe Chris did borrow the title for the first few years of his decimals book?

Here's an original:-

check your change.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Here's an original:-

check your change.jpg

Yes, I have that one - a very sobering read! It recognises the 'key dates' of the time, but none of the (e.g.) scarce 50s cupro-nickel which, IIRC, emerged later in the same year as CYC was published.

12 hours ago, Mart said:

Hi All

Did you know that Chris has an App

image.png.c197ea1afafa9a73c5538ebc220091f4.png

I didn't. Wonder if he has a predec app ?

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I didn't. Wonder if he has a predec app ?

Can't see one, unfortunately.

Incidentally, the one above says its designed for the i pad, but it works just as well on an android device. Just installed it on my phone.    

Edited by 1949threepence

The app is great and likewise coin checker have one (although it’s really bad).

I always hope the developers use it to gather census data, i.e to understand number of uncirculated £2 1999 “standing on shoulders, UNC 1981 10p etc although granted that relies upon people being able to grade effectively.

31 minutes ago, richtips86 said:

I always hope the developers use it to gather census data, i.e to understand number of uncirculated £2 1999 “standing on shoulders, UNC 1981 10p etc although granted that relies upon people being able to grade effectively.

You'll be lucky to find many in any grade!

Indeed, I tracked one down from Michael G a while back so now have a selfish interest in understanding how many there may be

2 hours ago, richtips86 said:

Indeed, I tracked one down from Michael G a while back so now have a selfish interest in understanding how many there may be

I found someone who had a sealed bag and bought twenty and then told a couple of people i knew who were looking for one , including Michael.

Michael telling me they were really hard to find and having a BU one on his site for £100 untill the bag turned up , tells me not many as he had been looking for years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I found someone who had a sealed bag and bought twenty and then told a couple of people i knew who were looking for one , including Michael.

Michael telling me they were really hard to find and having a BU one on his site for £100 untill the bag turned up , tells me not many as he had been looking for years.

I have 3, but they were all from the same auction lot in Warwick in the 90s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I have 3, but they were all from the same auction lot in Warwick in the 90s.

Yes Chris its ones like you bought that are hard to find in BU as most will be circulated and the mintage figures/ prices in the books for the 10p dont seem right  3,487 ,000 and £1 - £4.

The £2 in UNC mentioned above at £60 in the books is more on the right mark with regards price as they are also really hard to find.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes Chris its ones like you bought that are hard to find in BU as most will be circulated and the mintage figures/ prices in the books for the 10p dont seem right  3,487 ,000 and £1 - £4.

The £2 in UNC mentioned above at £60 in the books is more on the right mark with regards price as they are also really hard to find.

Strange thing about decimals is that the mass media seem to control the prices of the coins and the market selling price - just the mearest hint that a coin might be a bit valueable can send demand soaring and double the price of a coin overnight .

Take the 2015 ship £2 a really low mintage and quite hard to find yet because the mass media have not publicised the coin the coin ,no demand, same with the underground £2 and the sufragette 50p .

It seems we live in a society where we are told something is rare by the press and suddenly it is , very strange

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Here's my take on it: the mintage is low, but not nearly low enough to be rare - after all, the 1952 sixpence (a much lower mintage) is plentiful in lower grades compared to the 1981 currency 10p. I think (and this is simply educated guesswork) that the majority of the mintage was never issued, and quite probably melted down. Unusual? Yes certainly, but look at the context: no more large currency 10p's were ever issued. From 1982 to 1991 they only occur in BU sets, and then the small 10p arrived. So in 1981 - the last year of large currency 10p's - the Mint may have overestimated the demand for more coins.

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Strange thing about decimals is that the mass media seem to control the prices of the coins and the market selling price - just the mearest hint that a coin might be a bit valueable can send demand soaring and double the price of a coin overnight .

Yet there hasn't been any media coverage of the 1981 10p, and even on eBay the sellers of generic 10 pences from circulation usually say 'pick your date' and then have a drop down menu that runs from 1968 to 1981 - I've never seen any of those have any stock dated 1981. So they must be pitifully hard to find in any grade?

(Having said that, there's one here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-Ten-Pence-Coin-Unused/373496292855?hash=item56f61d25f7:g:RvQAAOSw~kRgTMBg but I SUSPECT it's probably from the proof set?)

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Here's my take on it: the mintage is low, but not nearly low enough to be rare - after all, the 1952 sixpence (a much lower mintage) is plentiful in lower grades compared to the 1981 currency 10p. I think (and this is simply educated guesswork) that the majority of the mintage was never issued, and quite probably melted down. Unusual? Yes certainly, but look at the context: no more large currency 10p's were ever issued. From 1982 to 1991 they only occur in BU sets, and then the small 10p arrived. So in 1981 - the last year of large currency 10p's - the Mint may have overestimated the demand for more coins.

Yet there hasn't been any media coverage of the 1981 10p, and even on eBay the sellers of generic 10 pences from circulation usually say 'pick your date' and then have a drop down menu that runs from 1968 to 1981 - I've never seen any of those have any stock dated 1981. So they must be pitifully hard to find in any grade?

(Having said that, there's one here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-Ten-Pence-Coin-Unused/373496292855?hash=item56f61d25f7:g:RvQAAOSw~kRgTMBg but I SUSPECT it's probably from the proof set?)

how about the 2019 10p and its low mintages - not a peep

The mary rose £2 is another

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I managed to find one (99 £2h BUNC on eBay about 5yrs ago for £25 in auction. I know Michael has a few on his site at varying grades.

The media definitely influence the market value of modern coins. I remember someone commenting on the Blue Peter 2009 50p back in April 2013/14 and saying you could buy them for a £5. I know coz I was in a Spoons and bought three! They’re now going for £250 plus! 

It’ll be interesting to see what the Brexit SYO 31/01 will be going for once the mintage figures are published which was date stamped just for one day. The Harry and Megan £5 had 508 made over two days (weekend) whilst and goes for eye watering prices. 

1 hour ago, richtips86 said:

The media definitely influence the market value of modern coins. I remember someone commenting on the Blue Peter 2009 50p back in April 2013/14

It’ll be interesting to see what the Brexit SYO 31/01 will be going for once the mintage figures are published

Yeah, but both those are commems. No-one ever talks about currency issues (even the 1983 'error' 2p is only in sets, but would probably have been headlined in any case; but otherwise...)