British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mart

New UNC Coins

How do you get new released for circulation coins before they get circulated?

Thanks

Technically, a coin is 'circulated' as soon as it leaves the conveyor belt and shovelled into a Mint bag for distribution to the banks. However, banks are the place to ask about coins that have just been taken from a Mint bag.

I would say that coins in a mint bag are "uncirculated". My view is that a coin is only "circulated" if it has been used to pay for something in a transaction. 

(Personally, I don't think one should take grading terms too literally. Hence, I am happy to think of a "circulated" coin as unciruclated if it is not below the quality of a typical coin found in a mint bag)

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I would say that coins in a mint bag are "uncirculated". My view is that a coin is only "circulated" if it has been used to pay for something in a transaction. 

(Personally, I don't think one should take grading terms too literally. Hence, I am happy to think of a "circulated" coin as unciruclated if it is not below the quality of a typical coin found in a mint bag)

Yes, I was only being strict and technical. I've even received coins in change from a shop that I'd personally class as BU. However, I'd still rate banks as the best bet.

19 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

However, I'd still rate banks as the best bet.

Absolutely.

Thanks for the replies

I thought the verry same, but when I went to one of the local banks I was told that they dont get specificly new coins just change in bags!

True. But if you get say £100 worth of 50p coins, then I would imagine there will be some new coins. Obviously, your chances would be higher if you know when new coins were being released (e.g. the release date of Brexit 50p coins was announced I think).

I don't think you do, except for unusual stuff like the Brexit 50p?

On 11/12/2020 at 6:15 PM, Mart said:

So how do you get to hear about coin release dates

For standard coins the mint will produce them as required (central bank dictates demand I think) and they can sit in storage until commercial bank branches request them (but they just request money in general and get what they get).

The number of sellers of themed 50p pieces that have come 'from sealed bags' suggest that there is a mechanism for obtaining sealed bags of particular coins - maybe direct from the RM. It sounds to me that this is what the opening poster is referring to?

I think the sealed bags of new coins came from the bank. From the Royal Mint website: "The Royal Mint cannot provide circulation coins to the public. We sell collector versions of coins, details of which can be found on our website www.royalmint.com."

5 hours ago, Sword said:

I think the sealed bags of new coins came from the bank. From the Royal Mint website: "The Royal Mint cannot provide circulation coins to the public. We sell collector versions of coins, details of which can be found on our website www.royalmint.com."

Ok, but Mart specifically said that he can't do this as his bank doesn't order them from the RM.

5 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Ok, but Mart specifically said that he can't do this as his bank doesn't order them from the RM.

They can order CURRENCY coins in sealed bags, but not collector coins.

Back in 1987 I asked in my local Barclays bank whether they had any mint sealed bags of the new smaller 50p and they let me have one - I still have it although that year saw one of the biggest numbers struck. Probably worth no more than face value.

Thank you all for your reply's I will let you know how I get on at the bank.

I understand there were no 1p and 2p coins in 2018 like 1972 and the 1p but has anyone seen 2019/20 1p and 2p coins

Also are coins with manufacturing issues worth anything see attachment

IMG_9292.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mart said:

Thank you all for your reply's I will let you know how I get on at the bank.

I understand there were no 1p and 2p coins in 2018 like 1972 and the 1p but has anyone seen 2019/20 1p and 2p coins

Also are coins with manufacturing issues worth anything see attachment

IMG_9292.jpg

Difficult to be sure from the photo, but that doesn’t look like a manufacturing issue, rather bubbling of the copper due to rusting of the steel core. Looks like it’s been in the ground.  Luckily it is still worth 1p, or even 2p depending what it says on the reverse.

Jerry

No, that won't be classified as an error. Looking for a serious error coin from change is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. 

Only errors that are really obvious are worth extra money. Even then, there are not many error collectors and most won't be worth very much. 

Have a look at this link: https://www.changechecker.org/tag/error-coin/

I went to the bank and got £10 of 1p and £10 of 2p

I got 7 sealed bags of shiny new 1p coins disappointingly they were all 2017.

I also got 4 sealed bags of 2p but they all contained mixed year coins.

IMG_9296.jpg

13 hours ago, Mart said:

I went to the bank and got £10 of 1p and £10 of 2p

I got 7 sealed bags of shiny new 1p coins disappointingly they were all 2017.

That's because 1p coins for circulation was probably last minted in 2017. There were enough 1p coins available so none were minted in 2018 except for those found in sets.

The mintage figures from the Royal Mint site.  Looks like no more were made for circulation after that.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

That's because 1p coins for circulation was probably last minted in 2017. There were enough 1p coins available so none were minted in 2018 except for those found in sets.

The mintage figures from the Royal Mint site.  Looks like no more were made for circulation after that.

I'm surprised they were still minting 1p's as late as 2017.

Mintage figures from the Royal Mint site.

https://www.royalmint.com/corporate/circulating-coin/uk-currency/mintages/1-penny/?

Thanks both for the tip on The mintage figures from the Royal Mint 

How can you tell the difference the bronze and copper-plated 2p

I assume 4th and 5th Portrait refers to the queens image what is the difference

1982_twopence_princeofwales.jpg

2p (Bronze)

1982_twopence_princeofwales.jpg

2p (Copper-plated Steel)

2008_fivepence_royalarms.jpg

4th Portrait 5p

2008_fivepence_royalarms.jpg

5th Portrait 5p

copper plated steel is magnetic, bronze isn't. The bronze changed in 1992, so should be the only year where both can be found. The 5p & 10p changed to nickel plated steel from cupro-nickel in 2011. Again, one is magnetic, the other not.

Five portraits have been used during the reign, those by Gillick, Machin, Maklouf, Rank-Broadley and Clark. The initials are below the truncation.

I suggest you get a copy of Spink's Coins of England decimal section, which lists all the decimals since 1968 and is well illustrated for all the denominations. This is the current issue.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPINK-COINS-OF-ENGLAND-2020-DECIMAL-SECTION-ONLY-NEW/133549771118?hash=item1f182fc96e:g:QiAAAOSwSbRfeIMV