British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ozjohn

Poinciana Scarborough, Qld

Poinciana tree, delonix regia from Madagascar and even more spectacular than the jacaranda. It thrives  in Queensland but not in Sydney as it is tropical in its requirements. I have seen them flowering in Egypt and often you can see them in the background in the TV series  Death in Paradise. These trees flower in December.

IMG_20191207_122655.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
More info
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Poinciana tree, delonix regia from Madagascar

Wow fancy having one of them in the garden, it would sure get some attention.

This one was outside my window when I was stationed in Hong Kong in the 1980s:

PB 268.jpg

PB 269.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to ozjohn's seeds, I have two about 6" tall.

One will be in the greenhouse now until spring, the other in my recently built over-wintering canopy.

i figure too high a humidity when cold is what they don't like, like most 'tropical' stuff...

Hi Blakeyboy,

Did you receive the second envolope containg some dwarf poinciana seeds? Good to hear the poinciana seeds are going well.

Ozjohn.

Edited by ozjohn
More info

Yes, thank you, but no luck- I've saved some for a spring sow.

This year was very weird for seed germination.....

Hi Blakeyboy,

I cannot remember if I said this before. With the remaining seeds boil a jug of hot water and pour on the seeds and let soak over night. Then plant as normal. If you need some more I can harvest form this year's growth when they are ripe..

At present I am trying to pollinate a vanilla orchid I have. It grows like mad and producing a lot of flowers but pollinating it is a skill I have yet to learn.

Regards,

Ozjohn