British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cliff

Gouby 2020 Additions & Amendments

Just received my new pages and my mind boggles at the work it must have entailed. Congratulations on a job well done Michael.

• Like 3

So annoying that neither Michael or I noticed that he'd included the wrong "zoom" of BP1890JB - I was so intent on checking the text throughout that an incorrect photo slipped the net !

It's so blindingly obvious once pointed out.

Sorry Richard, think I'm missing something here. BP1890JB??? Please put me out of my misery!

26 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Sorry Richard, think I'm missing something here. BP1890JB??? Please put me out of my misery!

Sorry, I meant 1860JB.

I'm not at my best at the moment - I had to go for a Covid19 test today after 4 days of fever.

• Sad 3

Thanks Richard. Sorry you aren't feeling too good but hope you better soon and the results all good.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Sorry, I meant 1860JB.

I'm not at my best at the moment - I had to go for a Covid19 test today after 4 days of fever.

Good luck Richard. I have had covid-19 for a month, and just got my first negative swab today. The Dr said probably 2 more weeks of fatigue as the virus goes away!

Bob Crawford, USA.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Sorry, I meant 1860JB.

All the best Richard. Fingers crossed it comes back negative.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Sorry, I meant 1860JB.

Good luck with the test Richard , and get well soon.          Terry

• Like 1

Just heard from Michael that he'd sent 2 update packs to Gary Schindler in the States but when they arrived with Gary, the packet had been broken open and packets of sweets substituted for the updates ! Can you imagine the mentality of the person did that ? Michael is understandably distraught and this is yet another unfortunate experience that he's had sending things to the US. He has vowed never to ship to the US again and who can blame him ?

20201009_081142.jpg.996d39f14de916da778f6cef4c4df951.jpg

Edited by secret santa
security
  • Haha 1

That is 'Bizarre Happening of the Week'

What a head scratcher....looks like it happened in France or Quebec...

My update pack felt like some paper in a pile - what would that 'feel' make someone think that it was valuable?

• Like 1

I suspect there is some child somewhere that is going to be very disappointed, unless off course he/she is a coin collector.

• Haha 3

Had not realised that an update pack was available. Have just sent Michael an email to  enquire costs, etc. Always worth checking into predecimal. Thanks

1 hour ago, hazelman said:

Had not realised that an update pack was available. Have just sent Michael an email to  enquire costs, etc. Always worth checking into predecimal. Thanks

Only £10 + £3.50 postage.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:01 PM, 1949threepence said:

Only £10 + £3.50 postage.

Thanks ordered

Does anyone know the size binder that is used for the guidebook???

I want to put the old pages in a separate binder for reference as it is too tight to have them in the back of the original..

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I want to put the old pages in a separate binder for reference as it is too tight to have them in the back of the original..

Thanks

They're A5 six hole ring binder size pages. Some same sized examples can be seen here on Amazon 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

They're A5 six hole ring binder size pages. Some same sized examples can be seen here on Amazon 

I've checked the a5's on Amazon, but they don't appear to match up completely with the binder they are in.

I might have to take a page in to a store and match it up properly...

15 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Thanks

I've also tried to obtain but the various ones I saw, whilst the spaces between the six individual rings were correct, the spacing between the two sets of three rings did not match what was needed. I tried ENSONS (manufactured the springs for Michael Gouby's binder) but no go. I contacted M.G. to see if he had any spare binders or could direct me to where I could purchase one but, again, no go.

M.G. informed me that he had tried to obtain some "spares" but his printer informed him they were no longer in production, although he'd found one box of 300 ring springs in Italy that could be bought for £1000. Transpires this six ring spacing was the one used by File-O-Fax but went out of production 10 years ago.

Would be interested to learn if anyone does manage to obtain any!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cliff said:

I've also tried to obtain but the various ones I saw, whilst the spaces between the six individual rings were correct, the spacing between the two sets of three rings did not match what was needed. I tried ENSONS (manufactured the springs for Michael Gouby's binder) but no go. I contacted M.G. to see if he had any spare binders or could direct me to where I could purchase one but, again, no go.

M.G. informed me that he had tried to obtain some "spares" but his printer informed him they were no longer in production, although he'd found one box of 300 ring springs in Italy that could be bought for £1000. Transpires this six ring spacing was the one used by File-O-Fax but went out of production 10 years ago.

Would be interested to learn if anyone does manage to obtain any!

I suppose you could either buy a six hole punch and re-punch holes in the bottom or top half of the page, to fit. Or alternatively use some treasury tags to link the pages together, and place in a plastic wallet - something like that, possibly.

It is annoying that the old size is no longer available. I just assumed it would be one standard size.  

• Like 1

I might have found a workaround solution...

I ordered this from Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VDX2TVH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4QALFbSH0V9A8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

it's a 3 ring grouping, supposedly with the proper spacing for the 2 individual 3 ring sections of an a5 binder. If 2 if these are used separately,  you can make your own binder with the proper spacing between the 2 sections. Just make a front and back cover to protect the saved pages..

I'll let you know how it works out when I receive the shipment from Amazon..

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

Center space between the 2 groups of 3 is too far apart....

Managed to nab a spare A5 folder at work this morning. Found out that just one more hole needs to be punched and the pages fit perfectly. Of course that doesn't mean they are centrally positioned in the folder, but the top of the page is about 1mm from the edge, so is not visible or "sticking out" when the folder is shut. 

It's OK for me anyway, although it may not be ideal for all.

folder 1.jpg

folder 3.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
pic uploading issues
  • Like 1

Will anyone who finds any with the correct hole spacings please inform us all. Ive also tried and failed.