British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Correct ID for Gold Quarter Noble please

I have been contacted by email with someone trying to get a correct ID for this coin. Can someone help?

I believe it is an Edward III Quarter Noble and I tend towards S1511 because of the annulet before Edward, but I can't make the symbol in the centre of the cross look like a "Lis". Nor an L, which might make it the much scarcer S1480. It doesn't look like an E either - anyone able to tell me?

I know the pictures are not great - the best the owner can achieve. I may get to see it in hand next week, but until then any help appreciated.

QNoble 1.jpg

QNoble 2.jpeg

QNoble 3.jpeg

Yummy coin paddy😍

• Like 1

Thanks - I may get to own it, but I need to do my homework first!

Yes, I'd go S1511 too. Ticks all the boxes - Annulet before EDWARD DEI GRA REX ANGL (no French title), Barred A in GLORIA, saltire stops. I think I can make out a lis in the central panel. The shape will be as on the shield, bottom right quarter bottom lis, rather than have looped side fleurs. A bit like a cactus. On the top image the initial cross is at 10 o'clock, then reads EXALTABITVR IN GLORIA.

The top image makes it look horribly cleaned. :(  These aren't rare, so go for a better one if it looks too rubbed.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Thanks for that @Rob - I am glad I was on the right track.

If I get to buy it, it will not be for my collection, as I don't do gold, but to sell on. I have a number of non-professional collectors that visit me regularly and would love to have something like this in their rather random selections. All depends on how much the current owner is prepared to accept for it.

Beaten to the pass - another dealer has offered him £650, which I think is too high, so no deal for me.