British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Wellington Waterloo medal by Kempson - info?

I picked this up at market today amongst a lot of other coins. I am struggling to get a complete ID on it. Measures about 44mm across (1.75 inches) and is in white metal - probably pewter.

I have found one described in the V&A: http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O176361/medal-kempson/ but this gives no BHM reference. It is also here: https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1986-04-14-1 but again without a reference.

I know a dealer who is keen to buy it off me, but I would like to get a BHM reference first and some idea of value? I have found similar designs used on medals and token boxes at several auctions (DNW and London Coins included) but not as a straight medal.

Wellington 1 Red.JPG

... Reverse:

Wellington 2 Red.JPG

My field and my speciality, and I've never seen this before. Certain that it's not in BHM, possibly Eimer, which I don't have. I wouldn't part with this until I was sure.

Can't check this out until Friday when I'm home. I'll PM you if I find anything.

• Like 1

Sorry Paddy but I've spent most of the day on this and can find nothing. Zip, nada, zilch, bubkes.  Not one reference, not even a mention.

Thanks for trying @bagerap. Did you see the examples in the two links I gave? Seems unusual that there are examples in well documented collections without it making it into any reference.

In the end I will sell it as it is outside my collecting area. Any idea of value? PM me if you don't want to reply in public 🙂