British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bagerap

Evasive halfpenny. George III head on a George II date.

Interesting piece, a 1735 Geo III halfpenny. Apart from the anachronistic date, it's a very thin flan, 28.5 mm, 6.3 gr.

504b-horz-ccfopt.jpg

53 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Interesting piece, a 1735 Geo III halfpenny. Apart from the anachronistic date, it's a very thin flan, 28.5 mm, 6.3 gr.

504b-horz-ccfopt.jpg

Interesting, looks like the Britannia is also in the George II 1729-39 style (the "rat" halfpenny)

That could get £50- £100  on ebay easy the americans love these forgeries.

I sold a george II halfpenny with a 1777 date for quite a bit on ebay

Thank you. Is this recorded or catalogued anywhere?

I can't see anything with that date in the Withers list, which is all I have to go on.

Thanks Paddy. I think I'll give this a whirl on ebay as I have a cheap commission rate tonight.

It has been on ebay for three hours with a starting price of £45, and the first bid is in. It's on for ten days, so it could get interesting.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 6:53 PM, copper123 said:

That could get £50- £100  on ebay easy the americans love these forgeries.

I sold a george II halfpenny with a 1777 date for quite a bit on ebay

I had a George II farthing with a George III date a few years back . I think I got £10 on ebay for it (straight to the States ). Wasn't a particularly grade condition coin , but had an identifiable portrait and clear date . A decent return for a coin that came out of a dealers 50p tub .

It is to my shame that I've had this for 53 years without noticing anything unusual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mick1271 said:

I had a George II farthing with a George III date a few years back . I think I got £10 on ebay for it (straight to the States ). Wasn't a particularly grade condition coin , but had an identifiable portrait and clear date . A decent return for a coin that came out of a dealers 50p tub .

Halfpennies are much more valueable than farthings - its a USA colonial coppers thing they love halfpennies

• Like 1

10 hours ago, copper123 said:

Halfpennies are much more valueable than farthings - its a USA colonial coppers thing they love halfpennies

I hadn't noticed I said I got a tenner for it .I missed out a 0 .it was £100 ,I got for it lol.

Any evasion halfpennies I have sold in the past always seem to end up in the US .

Edited by mick1271

Well, that was an education.

It stood for a few days at £80 and I was very well pleased, after which came an attack from an ID I recognised as an American dealer in U.S. Colonials. (Anything bearing the head of the Georges becomes< automatically "colonial.") He kindly boosted it to £137, whence I gratefully expected it to stay. After a day or so I began to think that if a dealer were prepared to push the price by $35, then maybe collectors might pile in.

They did.

Tonight @ 09.30 it sold for £ 204.86 and the purchaser paid three minutes later.

• Like 2