British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Help - Edward IV penny (ex Archbp John Sharp Colln)

Please could somebody help me trace the provenance of a coin I have. It's an Edward IV penny, type XXI, London, EDWARD DI GRA REX ANGLI legend with 'cinquefoil' mintmark. I bought it from Timeline Auction 21.02.18, Lot. 1240.

It stated in the description that it was Ex Morton & Eden Ltd sale; formerly in the Archbishop John Sharp (1644-1714) collection. However, I can't seem to find it listed in the M & E sale for their December 2017 auction. Was their another part to this sale? Could anybody advise or have a quick look for me?

Many thanks,
Descartes

Edward IV penny, 2nd reign, type XXI, London, archb Sharp colln.jpg

First of all, congratulations for your penny .. I really like it. 

If I remember right a first part of the Sharp collection was sold in a older auction , when I came back to home I check it. 

Probably one of three London second reign pennies in lot 141, but the lot not illustrated.

here the lot 141 description 

1.thumb.JPG.3dc4137dafb758ce5cfa06259c4009d7.JPG

In any case

During the 1960s and 1970s material from the celebrated Archbishop Sharp Collection was sold through the agency of dealers A.H. Baldwin & Sons, and Owen Parsons of Gloucester. There were auctions of Continental Coins (Sotheby & Co., 14 March 1966) and the particularly important English Coins and Medals Charles I – Anne (and Colonial Coins) held by Glendining & Co., 5 October 1977.

Thanks for your responses and for the info guys. It's really appreciated! :)