British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

Scrap value of a 1d please

2 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

For those interested, heavy copper price at EMR was £4.51 per kilo this last week. Best price I've had for a long time.

There will be a new weekly price from Monday but likely to be similar, maybe. Welcome touch just before Xmas.

That's good. :) Might pay a visit if I can get organised.

Heavy copper prices have risen steadily for the last couple of months. Weighed in today at £5.59 per kilo at EMR. Brass, if I remember correctly, is about £3.40. Ticket is in the van.

Interestingly, I asked about the price for cu-ni coins, around £4.20 per kilo. They would need to assess the copper content of the alloy first though. They have some sort of laser device which reads the composition of any metal alloy.

May be more convenient than your local university equipment for proving expensive coins.

Just a thought.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:19 PM, Zo Arms said:

Interestingly, I asked about the price for cu-ni coins, around £4.20 per kilo. They would need to assess the copper content of the alloy first though. They have some sort of laser device which reads the composition of any metal alloy.

Hmm I wondered this last week, looking at a pile of shillings and florins etc.

No-one seemed interested, even when nickel was through the roof.

it's still maybe double the copper price, so maybe it's the nickel content thats  being checked?

14 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Hmm I wondered this last week, looking at a pile of shillings and florins etc.

No-one seemed interested, even when nickel was through the roof.

it's still maybe double the copper price, so maybe it's the nickel content thats  being checked?

You could be right. I only assumed that it was the copper content. I did ask once before and they said chuck them in with the brass.

I'll try and visit towards the end of the week and report back the scrap value of a Churchill crown.😀.

Please form an orderly queue. And no pushing at the back..... Can you hear me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pleasantly surprised by a weigh in, early part of this week.

Heavy copper exactly £6 kilo.

Brass exactly £4 kilo.

A rise on the previous week by around 40p.  EMR

A quick heads up.

Just been to EMR to weigh in 30kg bronze coin. Apparently they can no longer accept them. Confirmed with the management there.

About to see if the back street boys will take them.

What???

How bizarre - I use the one in Bedford, and they are used to them, and put them in 'heavy copper'.......

I know. I've weighed them in there for years. Heavy copper, the same as you. And they all know me. New ruling, so I'm told. Been in force for about 2 weeks now.

Used one of the side street dealers for a £30 loss. Don't know why but they weren't as heavy on their scales. Strange. 

• Haha 2

Phoned up EMR today- nice lady in Southampton depot doing the answering- she said that you take copper coins,( or cuni, for that matter, )

and they bung 'em under the tester......

(oh- also, split your ally up into cast, extruded or rolled- clean extruded has shot up, for some reason.....)

• Like 1

I have a huge suspended ceiling to replace over the weekend, so a van full of light iron to lose come Tuesday morning.

Will be having a stern word with someone re the coin situation, whilst I'm there.

Thanks for the tip on the ali. 

• Like 1

Did that last week- put the metalwork in the car park.
Hopefully gone now!!

Not going through the pain of putting another one up, since we uncovered a lovely roof

and a lovely proscenium arch that's WW1 vintage:

Before:

DSC09877.jpeg.f129966f2ad41f99852a15bc7b300440.jpeg

After:

DSC00994.jpeg.24082e1d075ec41e8a8e43ea421531c3.jpeg

Edited by blakeyboy
speling
  • Like 6

That fake ceiling was criminal. Well done sir, and a lovely reclaimed space.

It reminds me very much of the Barnston women's institute hall which is around the corner from us and where you'll find a plaque informing you it was the venue at which the Beatles appeared for the first time in the suits Brian Epstein had bought them. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....

Beatles_plaque,_Barnston_Women's_Institute.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

it's a green corrugated steel village hall in Worcestershire we've bought to live in......if we survive the madness!

My favourite blue plaque says:          "Dr. Heisenberg might have lived here."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

it's a green corrugated steel village hall in Worcestershire we've bought to live in......if we survive the madness!

Ah yes.

Mrs Thomas at The Post Office did mention that some new people had moved in, cluttering up the car park with their rubbish.😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Lovely!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Did that last week- put the metalwork in the car park.
Hopefully gone now!!

Not going through the pain of putting another one up, since we uncovered a lovely roof

and a lovely proscenium arch that's WW1 vintage:

Before:

DSC09877.jpeg.f129966f2ad41f99852a15bc7b300440.jpeg

After:

DSC00994.jpeg.24082e1d075ec41e8a8e43ea421531c3.jpeg

Ah, the Villy Hall, imagifole, chittery-chattery and sip tilty-elbow from fine chiney tea-cuppers.

deep joy

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

Ah, the Villy Hall, imagifole, chittery-chattery and sip tilty-elbow from fine chiney tea-cuppers.

deep joy

...is that a spele impedimers you have?

oh folly...

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, blakeyboy said:

It's not certain!!

Apparently Schrodinger might still live there. Or he might have died. One or the other.

• Like 2