British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

No new £2 or 2p in circulation for 10 years!

Interesting article o the minting of £2 and 2p coins from the Royal mit, as well as a discussion on the future of cash versus digital currency:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54196300

It seems the Royal Mint has huge stockpiles of coins ready for issue - which explains why no new £2 designs have made it into circulation in the last few years and why we occasionally get a glut of older issues in brand new condition.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

Interesting article o the minting of £2 and 2p coins from the Royal mit, as well as a discussion on the future of cash versus digital currency:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54196300

It seems the Royal Mint has huge stockpiles of coins ready for issue - which explains why no new £2 designs have made it into circulation in the last few years and why we occasionally get a glut of older issues in brand new condition.

The 2p I can understand. Not so sure about the £2.

I would have thought the 1, 2, 5 & 10. 

Do you take the article to mean that the Royal Mint has produced lots of new £2 coins over the past few years, but which haven't been released into circulation?
That's how I'm reading it.  Otherwise, how would they know that there is a stockpile of 26 times the target?

If so - just allow collectors to buy them for £2, especially if they are post 2016 designs please 🙂

• Like 1

That's exactly how I read it, and it is born out by experience. Around here there has been a glut of the 2016 Shakepeare History coin - all brand new and uncirculated.

Unfortunately I suspect the ones they produced for packet-only were in much smaller numbers and went straight into wrappers, so I don't foresee them coming into general circulation any time soon.

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

OMG. You mean She does it herself, by hand? :o

• Haha 2

Bet the royal mint actually increases its production of £2 commems at £10 a pop

Theres always someone who want to fill a gap.

• Like 1