British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

My listed of threepences needed - any help appreciated!

After my eventual success with the threehalfpence, it has been suggested I list the few threepence dates I still need. Any readable condition considered as long as the price is commensurate with the condition!

1853, 1852, 1849, 1848, 1847, 1842, 1839

I am ashamed to admit I have all but given up searching on Ebay - either no hits at all or ridiculously high prices for the condition, or mis-identified groats. (The 1839 at auction on Ebay at the moment I am already watching.)

• Like 1

1849 is a hard one , I sold one ages ago and got nealy £50 for it - no sort of great shakes as far as grade was concerned - think it had around 20 watchers by the time it finished as well

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

On 12 September 2020 at 7:16 PM, Paddy said:

After my eventual success with the threehalfpence, it has been suggested I list the few threepence dates I still need. Any readable condition considered as long as the price is commensurate with the condition!

1853, 1852, 1849, 1848, 1847, 1842, 1839

I am ashamed to admit I have all but given up searching on Ebay - either no hits at all or ridiculously high prices for the condition, or mis-identified groats. (The 1839 at auction on Ebay at the moment I am already watching.)

Does that mean you HAVE got an 1846 ? Wow - where did you get one of those, and can you post a picture of it, please?

Your list of missing dates above probably more or less matches the rest of the collecting fraternity - and that's why prices are high when one does turn up. Collectors Coins Great Britain needs to do a massive overhaul of Victorian Threepence prices, especially the early or rare ones, where they are still "valued" in single figures or low double figures for Fine to Very Fine specimens. I wish!!

I do have an 1839 and an 1849 both in Fine or good Fine condition ( not for sale! ) for which I paid considerably more than catalogue price, but otherwise I am missing all the same ones you are, plus the 1846. 

• Like 1

This shows how challenging a nice collecton of silver threepence coins from Victorias reign can be  - not for the faint hearted

• Like 2

According to my spreadsheet I do have an 1846, though marked as only "fair". I can't get to my photos at the moment - I will try to tomorrow.

I must have had it for years as I have bought nothing in this area for years.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:20 PM, Paddy said:

According to my spreadsheet I do have an 1846, though marked as only "fair". I can't get to my photos at the moment - I will try to tomorrow.

I must have had it for years as I have bought nothing in this area for years.

Come on paddy its more fun to look at the actual coins in your collection than refer to a spreadsheet - when you are doing that you know your collection is tooooooo big LOL

• Haha 1

Ah, I have managed to get back to my photos and now know why I didn't really want to share this one! Even "fair" is a gross over-grading, and the identification as an 1846 is close to guess work! Here we go anyway - don't laugh!

908414720_18463D1-horzRed.jpg.c00805f0a0083ce294293bfc4632a0f7.jpg

Edited by Paddy
  • Confused 1

Only one question. Why did someone go to the trouble of plugging it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to disappoint, Paddy, but this can't be an 1846. It is the wrong combination of obverse and reverse - looks like Davies 3+B, and you need 1+A for it to be 1846. I guess it is actually 1876 with a buggered 7.

Another date to add to your list, sadly, and increasingly like mine!! 🙁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that. This was from early in my collecting days, just wishful thinking and has reduced the gaps by one for the last few years. Now I will have to take it out and probably scrap it - one more I need.

I can't say I go looking very hard for the missing Victorian 3Ds - it goes against the grain for me to spend many hundreds of pounds on a tiny piece of silver only a few numbers different from other 3Ds of the same period. I would rather spend the money on a Saxon penny from a reign I don't currently have.

I also doubted very much it was a 46