British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
jelida

Record your lost or stolen coins here.

Great prices  william pennies are really rare above good fine or so

3 hours ago, oldcopper said:

Fair enough, a deceptive photo - and I think the best on the market I know of. Let me guess - MS62 - 63?

Its was grade CGS 65 GEF which was the highest graded of the 9 they had done and the best one i found while looking , the buyer told me the best he had seen.

Although like most ,you never know what someone may have hidden away 😃

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its was grade CGS 65 GEF which was the highest graded of the 9 they had done and the best one i found while looking , the buyer told me the best he had seen.

Although like most ,you never know what someone may have hidden away 😃

Thanks Pete, nice coin. Now if only the person who put away all those bright 1834 farthings had done it instead with 1831 WW pennies. There's a thought! 

• Like 2

William IV farthings in the absolute top grades are really well sort after , most fetch over £100 there does seem to be a lot of them around but most are in good fine or less , with a few nicer ones in GVF and lower.

The smallest bit of wear on Williams bonce loses the coin a lot of value.

High grade examples tend to just stay for ever in good collections or be sold by the london auction houses .

Ebay is pretty useless for high grade William farthings as well , you have to wade through piles and piles of rubbish to find anything decent

• Like 1

15 hours ago, copper123 said:

William IV farthings in the absolute top grades are really well sort after , most fetch over £100 there does seem to be a lot of them around but most are in good fine or less , with a few nicer ones in GVF and lower.

The smallest bit of wear on Williams bonce loses the coin a lot of value.

High grade examples tend to just stay for ever in good collections or be sold by the london auction houses .

Ebay is pretty useless for high grade William farthings as well , you have to wade through piles and piles of rubbish to find anything decent

A dealer told me that all the bright 1841 halfpennies and the smaller number of the 1834 farthings were found in a box in India.

Quite a few of these BU farthings have come onto the market in the last 10 yeas or so, so I'm surprised that Colin Cooke's collection seemed to have one (and they're of the 1834 variety that was always thought the scarcer one I think), as he must have got hold of his well before 2005. 

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

A dealer told me that all the bright 1841 halfpennies and the smaller number of the 1834 farthings were found in a box in India.

Quite a few of these BU farthings have come onto the market in the last 10 yeas or so, so I'm surprised that Colin Cooke's collection seemed to have one (and they're of the 1834 variety that was always thought the scarcer one I think), as he must have got hold of his well before 2005. 

Talking to Neil a few years ago i dont think it was in the same box as Colin would of bought them all if he had known and was purchased years ago .I was told there was 220 Half Pennies and 25 / 30 Farthings ,although i dont know if thats before the seller sold some at Wakefield a few years ago or after , of which i and quite a lot of forum members bought some ,some were better than others but the majority BU.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Yes the 1841 halfpennies have been a drag on the market for a few years now , there are less halfpenny collectors than farthing collectors but there again the farthings would have soon disappeared into nice collections because many collectors were putting up with substandard pieces

I was lucky enough to buy a GEF 1834 the rare peck variety a few years ago for a song - it remains my best William farthing .

Its a pity a few pennies were not included in the hoard they would have been highly sort after.

I always thought victorian india had its own coins strange to find some GB issue

Edited by copper123

Another one gone missing in action. This time a next day tracked delivery. Dropped off at Post Office on Monday but initially too late to be sent on to the Mail Centre that day. 

Sent to Southampton Mail Centre yesterday, where it's then shown as despatched to the destination Mail Centre (should be South Midlands). But there is no scan in shown. Needless to say, it's not arrived and we're now past 1pm.

Royal Mail advised me earlier to contact the sender in the event it hadn't arrived by 1pm, in order that they themselves can initiate compensation enquiries with Royal Mail. So I'll do that.  

Link to the tracking No here

1806 Bronzed Proof penny. Cost over £500.

Frustrating to say the least.

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear about that n feel your pain.  I experienced the similar issue few weeks ago.  Seller sent items at Newcastle, n the track history showing it's accepted n due to despatch to Heathrow.  But then, no scan update for almost 2 weeks.  I initially thought it may down to pandemic situation so international delivery to Hong Kong was seriously delayed.  Finally, i email royal mail n ask why there was no update n whether there was any problem regarding customs or else, they had no reply, but luckily the tracking was updated again few days later after the email. 

Wish you will receive the penny in few days n good luck. 

• Like 1

Things do genuinely go missing as opposed to joining 'The Collection of a Postman'. My parcel of stycas to Paris three years ago which ended up in Tahiti, and a couple of lots from a Heritage sale in June 2006 that did a 7 month tour of the world's postal service before returning to Dallas, both spring to mind. Very few properly tracked items go awol, and then I presume it's mostly down to being put in the wrong sack, or quite legitimately, the auto reader/sorter can't decipher the address label correctly.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Remember my saga of the 1862/1 penny - there's a good chance that it will turn up eventually.

And you may eventually end up like you-know-who with both the coin and the compensation.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Remember my saga of the 1862/1 penny - there's a good chance that it will turn up eventually.

And you may eventually end up like you-know-who with both the coin and the compensation.

That did cross my mind actually. Although it'd be a very different outcome than with the individual concerned in your case. I like to think I'd act more honestly & intelligently than he has done so far. 

9 hours ago, Bruce said:

Sorry to hear about that n feel your pain.  I experienced the similar issue few weeks ago.  Seller sent items at Newcastle, n the track history showing it's accepted n due to despatch to Heathrow.  But then, no scan update for almost 2 weeks.  I initially thought it may down to pandemic situation so international delivery to Hong Kong was seriously delayed.  Finally, i email royal mail n ask why there was no update n whether there was any problem regarding customs or else, they had no reply, but luckily the tracking was updated again few days later after the email. 

Wish you will receive the penny in few days n good luck. 

Hope you eventually received your item OK, Bruce.

• Thanks 1

Well I'm delighted to say it has now arrived - with a lost day in between.

• Like 2

This story is a few years old, but this Cromwell shilling was sold by me on eBay to someone in Glasgow. I sent the coin with DPD from Dundee, it arrived into Germany over a weekend and was then eventually returned to their hub in Birmingham during the same weekend where it was never to be seen again, no refund from DPD as they said it was an antique which was prohibited.

There is a small scratch in front of Ollies mouth which would help identify.

Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 10.56.40.png

Edited by azda
Spelling
  • Sad 1