British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
jelida

Record your lost or stolen coins here.

I have started this thread to allow forum members to record, with photos, coins that have gone missing, perhaps lost or stolen in the post, perhaps pilfered at a meeting or from the house, with the intention of alerting fellow collectors and possibly facilitating recovery should the lost coin re-surface in a future auction or sale list. The eventual recovery of a coin could also feature.

The first coin is an 1858 small date large rose penny, purchased as a 'Buy it Now' from Northern Ireland on August 25th. Sadly this is now some two weeks overdue, and likely lost in transit by Royal Mail, though I still retain hopes that it may arrive or be returned to sender. Sellers pictures.

Jerry

image192.jpg

image191.jpg

Good idea Lord!

Uggh, I hate thinking about such but mercifully only one:

1863 GEF Florin (ex- Mark Rasmussen list 2006 #10, item 270).  Raw, not slabbed.

This coin is of prohibitive rarity IMO, and is possibly worth multiples of purchase price. My ex-wife took it with her when she left and was not returned on divorce even though stipulated in decree. As I rather love currency Vicky, that one did hit me. I have a Record Proof, but would rather have the currency version. Photo in next post

As originally posted to kick off this theme, my 1862 over 1 was sent on 3rd August 2020 to Scotland but never arrived. Tracking shows it still in the system but who knows where.

897469144_1862F392over1rev_edited.thumb.jpg.ac660fbeba882fa3e8a184fde4f47926.jpg143114186_1862F392over1zoom_edited.jpg.ea372f1588103a35024ed8d4596530b5.jpg

18 hours ago, jelida said:

I have started this thread to allow forum members to record, with photos, coins that have gone missing, perhaps lost or stolen in the post, perhaps pilfered at a meeting or from the house, with the intention of alerting fellow collectors and possibly facilitating recovery should the lost coin re-surface in a future auction or sale list. The eventual recovery of a coin could also feature.

The first coin is an 1858 small date large rose penny, purchased as a 'Buy it Now' from Northern Ireland on August 25th. Sadly this is now some two weeks overdue, and likely lost in transit by Royal Mail, though I still retain hopes that it may arrive or be returned to sender. Sellers pictures.

Jerry

Those pictures are a bit dark Jerry. Would you like me to brighten them and repost?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Those pictures are a bit dark Jerry. Would you like me to brighten them and repost?

Please. I would dearly wish to be able to take my own......

Jerry

On 9/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, jelida said:

Please. I would dearly wish to be able to take my own......

Jerry

I'll have a go tomorrow - but please post again so it appears in my unread list :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'll have a go tomorrow - but please post again so it appears in my unread list :)

No problem...thanks.

3 hours ago, jelida said:

No problem...thanks.

Untitled1.jpg.8b2cc8db8000ede555d4cb83e3e746ed.jpgUntitled2.jpg.03c804fb83ff7dcf4719ad0f9d64c24c.jpg

• Like 1

Not a loss or theft, but a report of bad practice by Royal Mail - and this time I was in, ready and waiting for an 1843 no colon after reg penny due to arrive by next day tracked delivery by 1pm today.

At about 12:34 I heard the letter box, rushed out, and there it was. NO KNOCK ON THE DOOR. 

I opened the front door to ask the guy why he hadn't knocked, but he'd already disappeared back into his van and was driving off, evidently not doing his round on foot. God knows how he managed to be that quick getting away.

Just a heads up to be aware.  

Not sure about lost, but the trail's suddenly gone cold on a coin bought from the States.

Should I be getting worried, or is it just too soon? 

I really wouldn’t be worrying about that yet, Mike, give it another week or two. It’ll be sitting in a great pile with two men at the bottom deciding whether to apply duty. The wait here is often longer than the transfer from the USA origin address.

But if it doesn’t appear by the end of the month, post pics. Is it worth making this post sticky? It may well resurface from time to time.

Jerry

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jelida said:

I really wouldn’t be worrying about that yet, Mike, give it another week or two. It’ll be sitting in a great pile with two men at the bottom deciding whether to apply duty. The wait here is often longer than the transfer from the USA origin address.

But if it doesn’t appear by the end of the month, post pics. Is it worth making this post sticky? It may well resurface from time to time.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I was wondering whether it might have been captured for customs duty.

@TomGoodheart great idea of Jerry's to have this thread made a sticky. It's going to be used many times. As a moderator do you agree?

23 minutes ago, secret santa said:

What's a sticky post, please ?

Meaning pinned, so that it will appear ahead of the other treads in the group.

Well I can't say this coin is definitively "lost" and I'm hoping it does get returned, but just unfortunate that it's gone wrong. Will the real Mr Hopkins please stand up !!!

Mistakes happen. 

It's an 1831 .w.w penny in not bad condition for a very reasonable price, which I won at the June Kleeford coin auction.   

real mr hopkins.PNG

Fortunately they know where they sent it Mike or whats happened to it ,so sure you will receive it soon.

A good buy though if its a decent grade ,one i had (sold now ) was from the Alderley collection and when i was looking you dont see many 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well I can't say this coin is definitively "lost" and I'm hoping it does get returned, but just unfortunate that it's gone wrong. Will the real Mr Hopkins please stand up !!!

Mistakes happen. 

It's an 1831 .w.w penny in not bad condition for a very reasonable price, which I won at the June Kleeford coin auction.   

real mr hopkins.PNG

Slightly off-topic, good luck with the return, but this is one of the hardest of all copper pennies to get in top grade, far rarer thus than the 1837, 1849, 1860. Even the 27 and both 43 varieties are known in very lustrous condition. I know of no lustrous or unc. examples of the .W.W (though there's a nice one in lustrous unc in the BM). The Alderney example seemed to have edge problems and Colin Adams' was middle grade.

6 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

Slightly off-topic, good luck with the return, but this is one of the hardest of all copper pennies to get in top grade, far rarer thus than the 1837, 1849, 1860. Even the 27 and both 43 varieties are known in very lustrous condition. I know of no lustrous or unc. examples of the .W.W (though there's a nice one in lustrous unc in the BM). The Alderney example seemed to have edge problems and Colin Adams' was middle grade.

Thanks.

It's not in the top grade league, but it's about VF and problem free. 

£78 hammer + 9% buyer's premium = £85.02. Not bad in my book.

1.png

No real problem Pete IMO and had it slabbed ,suppose it was open to opinion but more overlapping rather than damage in hand.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

1.png

No real problem Pete IMO and had it slabbed ,suppose it was open to opinion but more overlapping rather than damage in hand.

Fair enough, a deceptive photo - and I think the best on the market I know of. Let me guess - MS62 - 63?

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks.

It's not in the top grade league, but it's about VF and problem free. 

£78 hammer + 9% buyer's premium = £85.02. Not bad in my book.

Got mine from Dave Craddock for £100 in VF, so you've done pretty well at £85.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Got mine from Dave Craddock for £100 in VF, so you've done pretty well at £85.

Thanks. I'll post a pic when (and if) I get it.