British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Conor44

Vinyl enthusiasts?

Have been collecting records now for two years. It's strikingly similar to coin collecting, even the grading system is pretty much the same. I think the two hobbies go hand in hand quite nicely!

Only thing is if a coin looks it's grade then it is, with records they may look lovely but sound s**t, many dealers don't have time to play them. So it's a little more difficult in that respect. Due to the pandemic, I'm doing most of my record shopping online, and like coins, the amount of over-graded cr*p out there is astounding. Have spent more money on returning worn/scratched records than I actually paid for good ones methinks! I collect mainly late 70s, 80s electronic music, new wave, synth etc, as well as some prog from earlier.

I have a Technics sl1500c with an Audio Technica VM95ml stylus. Great turntable .

Other record collectors please feel free to get a nice chat going!

Edited by Conor44

An even larger subject than coins  it is at least quite fun poking around trying to find obscure singles long deleated , I take my hat off to you ., have fun!

Nice thing to leave the kids / grandkids

• Like 1

Most of my vinyl worth anything was 'collected' (bought) long before record collecting became a thing. My prized records include :

The Who - The Last Time 45,  Ready Steady Who EP, original My Generation album

The Deviants - Disposable album, bought from Woolies bargain bin for 25p !!

Genesis - Nursery Cryme on original plum label

Fairport Convention's first on Polydor - wish I had the cover

and quite a few other things. I don't think I've ever bought vinyl purely as  a collectable though.

• Like 1

My wife calls me a "collectomaniac" so I have a collection of coins mostly acquired by accident, a collection of bits of crashed aircraft, a collection of books mostly left over from book dealing, a large collection of photographs of ships, a collection of 78rpm shellac occupying about a metre of shelf space and a collection of vinyl that's mostly purchased when it first came out occupying slightly less shelf space.

That's just scratching the surface. 🙄 And most of it not worth storage space.

Luckily I have now finally retired after being "let go" from my part time auction house involvement. By "luckily" I mean I will no longer be tempted by stuff that nobody else wants.

I don't think there's anything in my vinyl collection that stands out. Normally just stuff that I enjoy or holds memories such as The Shadows, Gordon Lightfoot, Chicago Transit Authority double albums and Bert Weedon. 😮

Normally played on either a Technics SL-J110R with a stack of same make or a Kenwood stack, unless I've already transferred them to digital.

Oh! plus a reel to reel tape deck and a collection of tapes mostly recorded when I was at sea.

Sad or what!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fubar said:

Gordon Lightfoot

One of my favourites - had the chance to see him in Oxford a couple of years ago (aged 80-ish I believe). I'll always regret not getting tickets.

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

One of my favourites - had the chance to see him in Oxford a couple of years ago (aged 80-ish I believe). I'll always regret not getting tickets.

If you find your birth certificate, that should tell you exactly how old you are. :lol:

• Haha 1

Oh wow- I bought a box of records from a friend this month who said "gimme 50 quid" so I did.

Buried amongst the usual stuff that a 60 year old man has lying about, there was:

The Modern Revolutionary Ballet by the Red Detachment of Women (DM 6166)- a 1971 Chinese propaganda LP,

The Legendary Skatalites-  (Jam Sound JLP555),

Tangerine Dream 'Poland' (Zomba HIP22)- never knew it existed,

Jimi Hendrix 'Band of Gypsys' (Capitol STAO-472)

Jimi Hendrix 'Electric Ladyland' Part 1 (Track Record 613010)

And Jimi Hendrix 'Electric Ladyland'  'Vol1 and 2' (Polydor SLPHM 184719 and SLPHM 720), for the South Africa market.

I told my friend about them and he said he didn't care- they were just old records.

Bonkers.   My Thorens TD160 is going to be busy....:)

On 9/3/2020 at 11:32 AM, Fubar said:

My wife calls me a "collectomaniac" so I have a collection of coins mostly acquired by accident, a collection of bits of crashed aircraft, a collection of books mostly left over from book dealing, a large collection of photographs of ships, a collection of 78rpm shellac occupying about a metre of shelf space and a collection of vinyl that's mostly purchased when it first came out occupying slightly less shelf space.

That's just scratching the surface. 🙄 And most of it not worth storage space.

Luckily I have now finally retired after being "let go" from my part time auction house involvement. By "luckily" I mean I will no longer be tempted by stuff that nobody else wants.

I don't think there's anything in my vinyl collection that stands out. Normally just stuff that I enjoy or holds memories such as The Shadows, Gordon Lightfoot, Chicago Transit Authority double albums and Bert Weedon. 😮

Normally played on either a Technics SL-J110R with a stack of same make or a Kenwood stack, unless I've already transferred them to digital.

Oh! plus a reel to reel tape deck and a collection of tapes mostly recorded when I was at sea.

Sad or what!

Fubar: I got rid of the half container full of spares for BMW 2002's a couple of years back.

I have my garage workshop stuffed, both lofts boarded out and stuffed, all other storage under the stairs etc stuffed,

a container on a farm stuffed, a long small barn stuffed, two workshops on another farm stuffed, and a large Lot n Store stuffed,

with old studio gear and parts.  I think I'm up to about five tons. Probably more.

I know how you feel....:)

Oh- and I worked on a studio session where Jim Marshall wanted to record a crooner album, and Bert Weedon turned up with his guitar.......

• Sad 1

Blakey does this ring a bell?

• Haha 2

Extraordinary! How did I miss this??

The advertising for stuff is getting stupid now, and I don't use ANY of it - no children, no hair, no debt,

ex-girlfriend and family run a funeral business, I don't want a package holiday or a new car.

I don't want to gamble online or buy a mobility scooter.

I'm fine with my energy supplier and my bank.

If one more vapid harpie tells me about hyaluronic acid I'm going on a killing spree....

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Fubar: I got rid of the half container full of spares for BMW 2002's a couple of years back.

I have my garage workshop stuffed, both lofts boarded out and stuffed, all other storage under the stairs etc stuffed,

a container on a farm stuffed, a long small barn stuffed, two workshops on another farm stuffed, and a large Lot n Store stuffed,

with old studio gear and parts.  I think I'm up to about five tons. Probably more.

I know how you feel....:)

Oh- and I worked on a studio session where Jim Marshall wanted to record a crooner album, and Bert Weedon turned up with his guitar.......

Looks like my problem don't amount to a hill of beans compared to yours but it really isn't a problem. I keep telling myself that.
Somewhere I think I've got a copy of Bert Weedon's teach yourself guitar book.
I got rid of most of my computer kit to the local computer museum a year or so back to make room for more "stuff".
I wouldn't mind but kids don't really ever completely move out so their "stuff" is still taking up valuable space I could use.

47 minutes ago, Fubar said:

I wouldn't mind but kids don't really ever completely move out so their "stuff" is still taking up valuable space I could use.

Tell them that you've just discovered Ebay.....:)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Not Jim "Mr Amplifier, Lord of Loud" Marshall? :o

• Like 1

Back in the 60s, I was a "Saturday Boy" at Jim Marshall's shop in Hanwell Broadway. Once or twice we'd be sent out to watch over our hired amps at a gig, if the band was known to be clumsy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Not Jim "Mr Amplifier, Lord of Loud" Marshall? :o

Yes- I couldn't believe it when he and Bert Weedon walked in.....:)

8 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Yes- I couldn't believe it when he and Bert Weedon walked in.....:)

I believe it was The Who who prompted the invention of the famous 'Marshall Stack'?

'parrently so.

• Like 1