British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
alfnail

Silver Marks / Help Please

I'm hoping that there will be an expert on the forum who can read silver markings. I'm not actually sure that the piece is solid silver because it looks quite tarnished, almost plated with some wear, but the markings do also look like they could be hall marks to me. Felt sure there would be brains on here to help, rather than me wasting time on the internet trying to pin it down. Thanks in advance.

Silver Marks.jpg

These are “pseudo hallmarks “ on silver plate, not official hallmarks. Some can have meaning, for example the “S” may refer to Sheffield, and the “R&B” will be the manufacturer but others are simply ornate. Most Sheffield plate has marks similar.

This seems a good reference; http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionarysilverplatepseudohallmarks.html

Jerry

“R&B” is likely “Roberts and Belk“ silversmiths of Sheffield.

Jerry

I agree with Jerry that the "S" is probably Sheffield and the letters after that are "EP" I think, and stands for electroplate. 

The marks for a "Roberts and Belk" sterling silver item are shown below. They look similar but the all-important lion passant mark, which signifies sterling silver is present. The assay office mark (crown for Sheffield) would also not be present on a silver plate object.

73336639_unnamed-Copy.jpg.ea85e10f12755a6676f741605c5ed34a.jpg

• Like 1

A very good site for silver hallmarks .

https://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

Highly recommended. Site includes date letters for all UK assay offices, maker's marks and world silver marks.

Edited by ozjohn
typo