British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:44 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Pete (here) sent me an Unc 1959S 1/- he had spare. I never got it but when I checked the tracking it had been signed for - with a squiggle. I never found out WHERE it had been delivered to but Pete had addressed it correctly. To be fair, that's the only mishap I can remember.

Only just seen this Chris 😃

In fairness to the post office they could not of done anymore.

As they told me the packet was delivered and signed for with exactly the same signiture as one sent to the same address a couple of weeks before.Them looking at other deliveries most were signed the same and the postman has a GPS system ,this shows them that the signiture was made at the property.They did ask if i wanted someone to call round and for £20 and not really of any of any value or scarcity told them not to bother.I dont know if someone else lives at the property or signs on your behalf but they were sure the packet had been delivered and were quite keen to help 👍

15 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Only just seen this Chris 😃

In fairness to the post office they could not of done anymore.

As they told me the packet was delivered and signed for with exactly the same signiture as one sent to the same address a couple of weeks before.Them looking at other deliveries most were signed the same and the postman has a GPS system ,this shows them that the signiture was made at the property.They did ask if i wanted someone to call round and for £20 and not really of any of any value or scarcity told them not to bother.I dont know if someone else lives at the property or signs on your behalf but they were sure the packet had been delivered and were quite keen to help 👍

"In fairness to the post office"? In the first place, your previous packets were delivered correctly to my address but without any requirement for a signature (it's a retirement complex which may be the reason?).

The packet that went astray was delivered to the WRONG address and the "signature" was nothing more than a squiggle, and they did not call at my flat subsequently to investigate. Someone, somewhere, "signed" for your parcel at the wrong address, and I don't believe it was a flat here as people are very good about popping incorrectly delivered items to the correct flat. There is no-one in my flat to sign for stuff apart from me.

I'm not in any way getting at you as you did everything right, but the PO clearly lied to you. What's more annoying is that though it only cost £15 it was an item I wanted.

7 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

"In fairness to the post office"? In the first place, your previous packets were delivered correctly to my address but without any requirement for a signature (it's a retirement complex which may be the reason?).

The packet that went astray was delivered to the WRONG address and the "signature" was nothing more than a squiggle, and they did not call at my flat subsequently to investigate. Someone, somewhere, "signed" for your parcel at the wrong address, and I don't believe it was a flat here as people are very good about popping incorrectly delivered items to the correct flat. There is no-one in my flat to sign for stuff apart from me.

I'm not in any way getting at you as you did everything right, but the PO clearly lied to you. What's more annoying is that though it only cost £15 it was an item I wanted.

It does not matter ,although i think to correct you the previous packet was signed for although not by yourself the sqiggle was exactly the same.They also as i mentioned didnt call at your property as i told them it did not matter for a small amount ,i dont think they lied and just follow a procedure that they have in place. The postman who has the packet is fully responsible for its delivery and the signiture , he has been passed it for delivery that morning ,if he is then questioned the GPS is able to monitor exactly were he was and at what time.

This is more for anyone else reading the post that if you send something that requires a signiture the post office very rarely dont deliver it.

With regards your own delivery Chris ,if you had phoned them they would of found it or atleast confirmed with the postman who did sign for it. 

Just as a matter of interest the GPS tracking Pete refers to was introduced in May this year - you can read about it here  

14 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

It does not matter ,although i think to correct you the previous packet was signed for although not by yourself the sqiggle was exactly the same.They also as i mentioned didnt call at your property as i told them it did not matter for a small amount ,i dont think they lied and just follow a procedure that they have in place. The postman who has the packet is fully responsible for its delivery and the signiture , he has been passed it for delivery that morning ,if he is then questioned the GPS is able to monitor exactly were he was and at what time.

This is more for anyone else reading the post that if you send something that requires a signiture the post office very rarely dont deliver it.

With regards your own delivery Chris ,if you had phoned them they would of found it or atleast confirmed with the postman who did sign for it. 

I've done some digging around in my Peckris PMs (not in Peckris 2, I had forgotten I was a different user back then!). Apparently the packets were all sent Recorded delivery (probably by mutual agreement?) and delivered without my having to sign for them. The one that went astray was signed for as "Peckris" (which is how I'd asked you to address it) but I would have used my real name - which the postman knows - if it was me who signed for it.

it was nearly a month before I chased it up with you - there was a good reason for the delay but I wouldn't disclose anything from our PMs. You told me you'd posted it several weeks before and let me have the tracking number, and you were kind enough to make enquiries yourself with the PO. Unfortunately, the delay meant it was too late to raise a tracking enquiry which is why I never took it any further.

Anyway, this is all getting a bit picky, and I have no criticisms of what you did. I'd be happy to let sleeping dogs lie, or we could move the discussion  to PM not that it would bear fruit sadly.

With all due respect, please do. "Sh - -  happens".  Thankfully it was not a big ticket coin. My best to the Both of you, and I mean it.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, 1949threepence said:

Just as a matter of interest the GPS tracking Pete refers to was introduced in May this year - you can read about it here  

That facility could well be useful as I've had one go missing now. A nice 1856 PT penny sent by next day tracked delivery on Saturday, and when I went into track and trace earlier, marked as "delivered" at 12:44pm - but no package and no red and white card. I would have been in but had to go into the office today, so didn't return until about 2:30pm, when I made the discovery.

Called Royal Mail and they said they have to give it until 9pm tonight, and if it still hasn't arrived, then to call back tomorrow. Well it's definitely not going to miraculously turn up between now and 9pm, so I'll be calling back tomorrow. I had two observations for the person who answered the phone, 1/ Website says "Delivered 12:44pm" statement of fact, so why the need to mess about, although I appreciated it wasn't her fault, and 2/ why wasn't a red and white card left anyway?

I reckon the guy (not the usual as the writing on the scanner is different) either put it back in his bag without thinking, or left it at the wrong house. Either way, damned annoying.

If I can't get it sorted then I've lost a nice coin, and possibly £287 down the shitter to boot.

Yours,

Highly unamused

• Sad 1

I'm currently going through the claims process with the Royal Mail. An ex-police friend of mine reckons it was a common occurrence in his day (special deliveries going missing).

54 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I'm currently going through the claims process with the Royal Mail. An ex-police friend of mine reckons it was a common occurrence in his day (special deliveries going missing).

I hope you manage to get the situation resolved.

I'm very pleased to say there's a happy ending to my saga. I suddenly noticed through the frosted glass of my inner door, something lying on my porch floor, opened the door and there it was. Attached to it was a post it note saying "delivered to wrong address". Presumably just pushed through their door, possibly without even knocking. Considering they should take great care with tracked delivery items, this was just careless and slipshod. In the end I was reliant on the honesty and goodwill of a neighbour.   

• Like 4

I have received a cheque from Royal Mail covering the item and postage so I'm compensated although I've lost a potential source of investment growth and the buyer might still obtain a rare coin at zero cost if it turns up.

It looks as though I may have lost a rare penny now 2 weeks overdue posted in the UK, I will post its pics for your site Richard in due course. However I wonder whether we shouldn’t have a dedicated topic on this site in which to post pics of these coins and a short history of the loss. This would alert other collectors and might aid claims or litigation for return should the coin turn up in the future, as rare coins tend to resurface at auction or on dealers lists eventually. Recoveries could also be subsequently listed.  If members consider this useful, I will start the topic with my coin.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

It looks as though I may have lost a rare penny now 2 weeks overdue posted in the UK, I will post its pics for your site Richard in due course. However I wonder whether we shouldn’t have a dedicated topic on this site in which to post pics of these coins and a short history of the loss. This would alert other collectors and might aid claims or litigation for return should the coin turn up in the future, as rare coins tend to resurface at auction or on dealers lists eventually. Recoveries could also be subsequently listed.  If members consider this useful, I will start the topic with my coin.

Jerry

Good idea Jerry

The question is, who owns an item resurfacing after it has been "lost" in the post and full compensation has already been paid to the owner? If I have to guess, then I would say it then belongs to the Royal Mail, but I can be wrong. I am not certain if the original owner still have any right after that. 

Edited by Sword
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 11:54 AM, Diaconis said:

I won a coin at Katz auction in December 2019 which was sent with tracking. It disappeared at the border. They confirmed to me yesterday that Czech post still hadn’t been able locate it so a refund will be made. Credit to them. 8 months later, pfff. It’s the only one I’ve had go missing 🤞🏽but not a pleasant experience at all.

Update: What's in a promise? Still no money refunded...4 weeks later... 

2 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

Excellent idea, especially as the reliability of Royal Mail seems to be declining at present. 

1 hour ago, Sword said:

The question is, who owns an item resurfacing after it has been "lost" in the post and full compensation has already been paid to the owner? If I have to guess, then I would say it then belongs to the Royal Mail, but I can be wrong. I am not certain if the original owner still have any right after that.

My guess is that the RM wouldn't have any use for the item, so the first thing they might do is notify the owner that it's turned up and will be handed over on repayment of the compensation.

46 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

My guess is that the RM wouldn't have any use for the item, so the first thing they might do is notify the owner that it's turned up and will be handed over on repayment of the compensation.

That would indeed be the most sensible thing for Royal Mail to do. But I have just seen this story which is somewhat worrying. https://postandparcel.info/17817/news/up-for-auction-75000-items-that-were-lost-in-the-post-by-royal-mail/#:~:text=Royal%20Mail%20has%20admitted%20selling,their%20post%20has%20gone%20astray.

23 minutes ago, Sword said:

That would indeed be the most sensible thing for Royal Mail to do. But I have just seen this story which is somewhat worrying. https://postandparcel.info/17817/news/up-for-auction-75000-items-that-were-lost-in-the-post-by-royal-mail/#:~:text=Royal%20Mail%20has%20admitted%20selling,their%20post%20has%20gone%20astray.

A perfect illustration of why it would be a great idea for us to run with Jerry's excellent proposition.

Edited by 1949threepence

13 hours ago, Sword said:

But I have just seen this story which is somewhat worrying. https://postandparcel.info/17817/news/up-for-auction-75000-items-that-were-lost-in-the-post-by-royal-mail/#:~:text=Royal%20Mail%20has%20admitted%20selling,their%20post%20has%20gone%20astray.

Does anyone know the website of this auction house ? There appears to be several auctioneers with similar names.

19 hours ago, Sword said:

That article is from 2007. Let's hope the situation has changed, though I wouldn't bet my house on it.

to add my statistics and a bit of defense on the RM side, ive sent about 600 items recorded in the last 3 years, only 1 has been lost.

The 1 that was lost was my own fault really, i send everything recorded even if it is a £6 sale. I ran out of international tracked/signed bar codes and forgot to ask the PO worker to send recorded. A £135 token to USA went missing and i couldn't claim anything back unfortunately, keep an eye out for a Mary II rose pattern farthing/medallion  with very green toning.

So 1/600 aint too bad, of those about 10 were dodgy Russian "oblast"(top pop 1911 florin is located there now) and a 1887 PF66 cam 1/2 crown uninsured to china that i was pretty sure were going to dispensary but made it there ok(pure greed on my part)

Don't lose faith in RM, just don't ever send anything unrecorded unless you want to give it to them for free.

Surprise, surprise - the 1862 over 1 has finally turned up at the buyer's house, over four and a half months late !

Edited by secret santa
correction
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Surprise, surprise - the 1862 over 1 has finally turned up at the buyer's house, over four and a half months late !

What happens about the compo now?