British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

There's a new big budget costume drama series called 'Harlots', about prostitution in 18th century London, beginning next week on BBC 2. During the trailer we see coins being thrown into a coffer already filled with money. Here's a screen grab.

18th century?

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 19.21.36 copy.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Haha 5

Pedantry? actually that's the kind of error which seriously irritates me in period dramas.

It's on a par with one I saw set in the 1890's, where you got a quick glimpse of a satellite dish on the side of someone's house. Forgotten what it was called.

Or the continuity errors where an actor is talking to someone, and after the reply when the camera moves back to him, he's wearing a different tie.

Then (being interested in trains), I saw one film from the 1950's which showed a train about to leave, and after the camera panned back to the locomotive after a romantic goodbye, same class of loco, but with a different number.

Oh and not forgetting the film apparently set in December, where you can see fake snow falling outside the window. Then when they shoot outside, all the trees are in full leaf, and the shadows cast by the actors, very short - and it's not "6 months later". Oh and when they come in from the snow, the flakes just stay intact on their coats, instead of rapidly melting which they would in real life.

...and don't get me started on fake lightning, always cast as directly overhead, so the thunder is immediate....  

OK call me a sad but observant pedant if you like.   

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

There's a helicopter somewhere in Shogun :)

My mother was a continuity girl on African Queen during the filming in South Africa - as a result she was a dab hand at spotting errors of this sort.

For me it is usually when they stray into the realms of the military that my hackles rise. In an early Doctor Who the "Nuclear Bomb squad" was called out - a "Major" in the Royal Engineers was supposedly in charge, except that he was wearing an "Other Ranks" hat badge and his beret was pulled down on the wrong side. Yet another reason for me to hide behind the sofa!

• Like 2

Just before and after Uni I spent a few years in the Pinewood sound department. On The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, there was a busy (and expensive) street scene shot on a permanent set at Shepperton. Dozens of vintage vehicles were used, many with age appropriate signage. One van said Mackie & Son Bagpipe Makes. I pointed out that it should be Makers and received the reasonable answer that if the audience noticed that, then they weren't much interested in the picture anyway.

7 hours ago, bagerap said:

Just before and after Uni I spent a few years in the Pinewood sound department. On The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, there was a busy (and expensive) street scene shot on a permanent set at Shepperton. Dozens of vintage vehicles were used, many with age appropriate signage. One van said Mackie & Son Bagpipe Makes. I pointed out that it should be Makers and received the reasonable answer that if the audience noticed that, then they weren't much interested in the picture anyway.

But of course people do notice imperfections and they're a distraction. They're also a gift for media critics.

So I'm not sure what you received was a reasonable answer. More one of being fobbed off. Indeed, if you weren't interested in the picture, you wouldn't be paying attention and would likely miss a detail like that anyway. 

I'm surprised a self admitted pedant like you would agree it was a reasonable reply. 

10 hours ago, bagerap said:

We have both the 1969 Maggie Smith film and the 1978 TV series with Geraldine McEwan. If Pinewood I should think you're referring to the original film?

I've skimmed through this morning but haven't been able to spot the van in any of the street scenes. Do you know where and when it appears? If you do, I'll grab a shot and put it up on here. 

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

No trailer on the BBC site that I can see...

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:39 AM, 1949threepence said:

But of course people do notice imperfections and they're a distraction. They're also a gift for media critics.

So I'm not sure what you received was a reasonable answer. More one of being fobbed off. Indeed, if you weren't interested in the picture, you wouldn't be paying attention and would likely miss a detail like that anyway. 

I'm surprised a self admitted pedant like you would agree it was a reasonable reply. 

Compared to the cost of reshooting the scene, it was reasonable and Michael Roo's response seems to indicate that it was lost in the edit.

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

Compared to the cost of reshooting the scene, it was reasonable and Michael Roo's response seems to indicate that it was lost in the edit.

Yes, but that wasn't the reply you say you received, which was the one I was commenting on.  

The cost of re-shooting or an intention to edit out the van would have been a perfectly reasonable response, I agree.   

A little diverse pedantry.

Watched University Challenge last night. There was a bonus round on National Coats of Arms. Paxman referred to Supporters as Dexters and Sinisters instead of, Supporter dexter side and Supporter sinister side.🤔

7C475224-C717-4B21-914A-BE77F6F5673E.jpeg.1eb030417ec5318ce44b07c8fb217d49.jpeg