Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Recommended Posts

Question as per title. Yes or no please. Not mine, not buying, just after opinions.

Cheers.

 

 

1936c (3).jpg

1950c (3).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it's more probable than not that they haven't been cleaned. But can't be certain either way.

If they have then the phrase, "sometime cleaned, now re-toning", comes to mind.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that if its that hard to tell the difference , then it doesn't really matter so long as no damage has been done to the coins surface

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly don't look obviously cleaned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I brought this coin recently on Ebay (I have not received it yet). It was described as AU cleaned by PGCS Ref 39537324 and I bid on it not expecting to win it as the bid I placed was low.Any how I won it and as the price was right I have no problem with it. However when I checked the coin out on the PGSS site I could not see where it had been cleaned apart from a few hairlines on the king's neck the coin to me does not show any sign of regular abrasions or IMO other obvious signs of  cleaning. On the reverse there is some toning indicating to me if it had been dipped it was some time ago. Any opinions on what made the TPGers think this coin had been cleaned would be appreciated.

 

Annotation 2020-07-31 091300.png

Edited by ozjohn
more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always look at the hard to clean features, for example small loops in letters and numbers, the majority of a coin is easy to get to and clean, but loops filled with dirt are generally a giveaway, even dipped or soaked these tend to retain the dirt/grease and would need a good eye, sharp pick and a good few hours to clean out convincingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I brought this coin recently on Ebay (I have not received it yet). It was described as AU cleaned by PGCS Ref 39537324 and I bid on it not expecting to win it as the bid I placed was low.Any how I won it and as the price was right I have no problem with it. However when I checked the coin out on the PGSS site I could not see where it had been cleaned apart from a few hairlines on the king's neck the coin to me does not show any sign of regular abrasions or IMO other obvious signs of  cleaning. On the reverse there is some toning indicating to me if it had been dipped it was some time ago. Any opinions on what made the TPGers think this coin had been cleaned would be appreciated.

 

Annotation 2020-07-31 091300.png

That doesn't looked cleaned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

That doesn't looked cleaned.

agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a cracking price for the 1920!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. To me the 1950 looked cleaned, not sure about the 1936. I can't even say why for sure, it just looks a bit unnaturally shiny to me. It could just be the lighting, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

That was a cracking price for the 1920!

I paid GBP 27.00 for the 1920 halfcrown. I've never had a coin graded but I guess it would costa bit for the service.

Freight was extra.

Edited by ozjohn
More info.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they may not like the "halo" in the fields around KG5. Also, poor lustre - but as we know this is not the vintage for fabulous colour. I looked at the blowup on their site and think I might even have gone 61 or 2 with it. Nice coin. Please look up my specimen of this date on their site which got a ????61???? That was crazy and this for an "only known" specimen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here's another 1920 Halfcrown I have obtained over the time. It was graded by National Numismatic Certification as MS 62. Although this  TPGer may not have a good reputation I think it is probably close to the mark as MS62. On examination the coin seemed like a  Davis reverse B. I checked with Michael Gouby and he agreed it probably  was although it's hard to see from the scan. Looking at the coin in hand  at the bottom of the belt facing the F. 19 part of the legend there is a complete absence of the raised rim facing this part of the coin.although it still seems to show on the scan but not on a loupe. I think it an effect of the scanning that a vestige of a raised rim can be seen in this area. I don't normally chase varieties but sometimes they find you

Clipboard 5.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I paid GBP 27.00 for the 1920 halfcrown.

Well done and superb buy! A nicely struck example too. It has probably had a serious dipping in an attempt to remove the staining. But it still has better eye appeal than your second example, despite the loss of some lustre. Bargain.

Here is a bigger photo from the PGCS site.

1003089214_39537324_Medium-Copy.thumb.jpg.93c325c614dc85b57c4577f9fdfdbc28.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sword said:

Well done and superb buy! A nicely struck example too. It has probably had a serious dipping in an attempt to remove the staining. But it still has better eye appeal than your second example, despite the loss of some lustre. Bargain.

Here is a bigger photo from the PGCS site.

1003089214_39537324_Medium-Copy.thumb.jpg.93c325c614dc85b57c4577f9fdfdbc28.jpg

 

Thanks Sword. The second example was scanned through its encapsulation which does not enhance a coin's appearance. I forgot to attach the close up of the belt close to the LHS of the date as you can see it is visible on the PGSS photo but absent on the second example I posted. As I said before I sent a scan to Michael Gouby as he had one illustrated in his listings and he concluded it was most probably a reverse B

img139.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 9:14 PM, mrbadexample said:

Thanks all. To me the 1950 looked cleaned, not sure about the 1936. I can't even say why for sure, it just looks a bit unnaturally shiny to me. It could just be the lighting, of course. 

Some do look a bit shiny and they haven't been cleaned or polished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning there were three good grade sixpences for sale on the WAG auction site. I didn't bid on them but noticed that all three (Geo. IV) exhibited similar spotty toning. 

What causes this? Have they at some time been cleaned?

Untitled.jpg.052f7f9acd5567b4f0788d1ab1247bd5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Diaconis said:

This morning there were three good grade sixpences for sale on the WAG auction site. I didn't bid on them but noticed that all three (Geo. IV) exhibited similar spotty toning. 

What causes this? Have they at some time been cleaned?

Or poorly stored.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×