British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

mick1271

Goubys The British bronze penny .

Does anybody have a spare or unneeded copy for sale ? Or know of one for sale . many thanks .

trying to get one direct from Michael . Hopefully get sorted . Thanks for the help Pete .

3 hours ago, mick1271 said:

trying to get one direct from Michael . Hopefully get sorted . Thanks for the help Pete .

Just looking at your interests Mick. When you've finished a barrel of cider do you use it to shoot fish?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Just looking at your interests Mick. When you've finished a barrel of cider do you use it to shoot fish?

I believe shooting fish is illegal in the UK . I would need to move to the States to give that a try lol .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mick1271 said:

I believe shooting fish is illegal in the UK . I would need to move to the States to give that a try lol .

DOH! You never heard the phrase "shooting fish in a barrel"?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

DOH! You never heard the phrase "shooting fish in a barrel"?

Of Course I have , But I thought I would take it a bit more literally lol

9 hours ago, mick1271 said:

Of Course I have , But I thought I would take it a bit more literally lol

Of course another interpretation could be that the person is WEARING the barrel and shooting the fish in a stream, ocean, river, lake (any body of water containing said fish)... he/she might need to be concerned about getting a splinter though...

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, mick1271 said:

Does anybody have a spare or unneeded copy for sale ? Or know of one for sale . many thanks .

I've got "The British Bronze Penny 1860 to 1901", but not "The British Bronze Penny 1860 to 1970".

Michael has the former for £50 but the latter is sold out and has been for a long time. We could do with a re-print. 

If you can't get one from Michael, Mick, one might hopefully come up for auction at some point.

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I've got "The British Bronze Penny 1860 to 1901", but not "The British Bronze Penny 1860 to 1970".

Michael has the former for £50 but the latter is sold out and has been for a long time. We could do with a re-print. 

If you can't get one from Michael, Mick, one might hopefully come up for auction at some point.

Is that the one divided in 3 horizontal sections so you can compare pictures of different obverses and reverses?

21 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Is that the one divided in 3 horizontal sections so you can compare pictures of different obverses and reverses?

To be honest, Chris, I'm not sure. But what you say closely describes the 1860 to 1901 version, which is in a ring binder and loose leaf, with pictures of all the obverses and reverses described. 

23 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, it's the book that got me hooked on pennies.

• Like 1

I emailed Michael a few days ago .I haven't heard anything back yet , but It did say on the website , that they probably wont post again till the 4th Aug  and they will send invoices out a few days prior .

Michael got back to me about the book . He has a new update coming out in the next few weeks (it is being proof read as we speak )  .Bigger pictures and another 94 pages .I will wait and get the book with the updates , but the update is also available to owners of the 1st edition for £10 plus postage .

The new book with updates will be £60 .

Edited by mick1271
spelling
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mick1271 said:

Bigger pictures and another 94 pages

Not quite - section 3 (pages 33 to 94) has been updated in its entirety with new varieties and pictures, so several new pages with suffixes (but not 94) - I'm helping with the proof reading.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

Not quite - section 3 (pages 33 to 94) has been updated in its entirety with new varieties and pictures, so several new pages with suffixes (but not 94) - I'm helping with the proof reading.

Thanks Richard .I read it as 94 new pages , not pages updated and suffixes. My bad lol . I will look forward to it when it comes out .

On 7/25/2020 at 4:02 PM, secret santa said:

Richard, is that a new book for the entire period 1860 to 1970?

No Mike, it's an update of the 1860-1901 Victoria book. There a couple of 1 page additions/replacements for new obverses/reverses such as the new Obverse with 145 teeth, and section 3 (pages 33 to 94) has been effectively re-written to include new varieties, mostly different date widths and/or overdates. New pages have been added with a suffix. e.g Page 34A so that the total of pages will have increased by a dozen or so, but that entire section will need to replaced in the binder with the new pages.

• Thanks 1

Did this updated edition end up happening?

6 hours ago, Mr T said:

Did this updated edition end up happening?

Be patient - I only sent Michael 6 pages of comments from proof reading last Thursday so it will be a while before official updates are available.

Oh all good - I just hadn't visited here in a few months and thought it was old news - it was only mentioned last week now that I look back.

Michael has now finished his updates to his book on the Victoria Bronze Penny 1860 to 1901 and is ready to send it off to the printer. He would like to have a feel for the number of likely customers for the update and therefore has requested that collectors should contact him on: michael@michael-coins.co.uk to register their interest.

The updates consists of a new addition to the obverse and reverse Section and a complete rewrite of the current Section 3, pages 33-94 inclusive.

For owners of the current book, the updated pages will be available as a 47 double-sided pages pack, pre-drilled to fit in the existing folder and would be available for purchase at £10.00, plus "signed-for" postage for £3.50, or £2.50 for standard postage in the UK (obviously a little more for overseas customers).

For anyone who does not already have his book but wishes to buy the complete book when ready, the total cost would be £60.00 (for the 1st edition at £50.00 plus the new updates at £10.00) with "signed-for" postage at £6.50. That book price is expected to increase in the near future to £65.00 plus £6.50 for signed for postage in the UK.

As I said above, collectors should contact Michael to express their interest in purchasing the updates.

Regards

Richard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for this Richard.

Jerry

e mail from me too.

Thanks Richard.

12 hours ago, secret santa said:

Michael has now finished his updates to his book on the Victoria Bronze Penny 1860 to 1901 and is ready to send it off to the printer. He would like to have a feel for the number of likely customers for the update and therefore has requested that collectors should contact him on: michael@michael-coins.co.uk to register their interest.

The updates consists of a new addition to the obverse and reverse Section and a complete rewrite of the current Section 3, pages 33-94 inclusive.

For owners of the current book, the updated pages will be available as a 47 double-sided pages pack, pre-drilled to fit in the existing folder and would be available for purchase at £10.00, plus "signed-for" postage for £3.50, or £2.50 for standard postage in the UK (obviously a little more for overseas customers).

For anyone who does not already have his book but wishes to buy the complete book when ready, the total cost would be £60.00 (for the 1st edition at £50.00 plus the new updates at £10.00) with "signed-for" postage at £6.50. That book price is expected to increase in the near future to £65.00 plus £6.50 for signed for postage in the UK.

As I said above, collectors should contact Michael to express their interest in purchasing the updates.

Regards

Richard

I just ordered mine.

Thanks Richard