British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

blimey

i remember buying 3 of these for around £10 each not too long ago ,  what they are selling for is unreal, 

blue peter 2009 olympic 50p

Edited by craigy
  • Like 2

I know - selling like hot cakes, even though I didn't really get her hair right.....

Now where's that Aston brochure......?

1 minute ago, blakeyboy said:

I know - selling like hot cakes, even though I didn't really get her hair right.....

Now where's that Aston brochure......?

i am shocked at the price,    am going to unload mine sharpish lol, like the 2016 peter rabbit silver proof went up to a grand then settled around £500 !!!!!

When will people understand that a hundred sold listings in recent times is not a rare coin?

• Like 2

50p's certainly seem like a popular collecting item. 

Quite surprised £2 coins aren't more popular than they are, for modern era collectors.

If anyone has a 1974 proof set ,sell it 😃

The 50p collectors are all buying the 1974 50p Proof for daft money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

If anyone has a 1974 proof set ,sell it 😃

The 50p collectors are all buying the 1974 50p Proof for daft money.

Really?

I've got a 1974 proof set. Maybe I should offload it.

• Like 1

Crikey, Pete may be right - link

Although I'm not sure they're fetching so much that it warrants selling. Just had a look at mine. It's actually quite immaculate with no sign of any toning.

Edited by 1949threepence

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Crikey, Pete may be right - link

Although I'm not sure they're fetching so much that it warrants selling. Just had a look at mine. It's actually quite immaculate with no sign of any toning.

I was actually going to sell my 74, 75, 76 sets as a start, before weeding out later "non essential" sets. I rate the first 4 sets (starting with 1970) as long as the 73 is untoned. Perhaps I'll start with the 74...

27 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I was actually going to sell my 74, 75, 76 sets as a start, before weeding out later "non essential" sets. I rate the first 4 sets (starting with 1970) as long as the 73 is untoned. Perhaps I'll start with the 74...

I've got all of them up to and including 1987, They're among the first coins I collected in the early to mid 90's, as they were so easy to get. But soon lost interest, which is why I stopped at 1987.

It must be this modern craze about 50p's. Although why it just appears to be 1974, I don't know. Given that no currency 50p's were struck in 1971, 1972, & 1975 either, you'd think they too would be sought after. 

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I've got all of them up to and including 1987, They're among the first coins I collected in the early to mid 90's, as they were so easy to get. But soon lost interest, which is why I stopped at 1987.

It must be this modern craze about 50p's. Although why it just appears to be 1974, I don't know. Given that no currency 50p's were struck in 1971, 1972, & 1975 either, you'd think they too would be sought after. 

Yes, that's a puzzle. The mintage for 1971 is 50% higher than 74 and 75, but those 2 were both 100k, so why?

4 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, that's a puzzle. The mintage for 1971 is 50% higher than 74 and 75, but those 2 were both 100k, so why?

Westminster coins sent an email out to 50p collectors on Thursday night ,hyping them up rarer than Kew gardens etc 🙁

19 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Westminster coins sent an email out to 50p collectors on Thursday night ,hyping them up rarer than Kew gardens etc 🙁

Do you have a copy, Pete?

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

No sorry they didnt send it me ,it was pasted on facebook .

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Just found this

royal mint proof set 1974 ad.PNG

KB Coins has a 1974 set on offer for just £15....

Based on a mintage of 100K and a clear excess of demand over supply, it would place humans just below 20th in the British sheep populations by breed using industry statistics.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Just found this

royal mint proof set 1974 ad.PNG

Blimey. Even in coin circles, 100k is hardly a "tiny number"! "Very rare" 1951 pennies, anyone?

You'd think punters with an IQ higher than 50 might have done some research and found out that what they said about the 74 sets applies equally to the 75 sets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Blimey. Even in coin circles, 100k is hardly a "tiny number"! "Very rare" 1951 pennies, anyone?

You'd think punters with an IQ higher than 50 might have done some research and found out that what they said about the 74 sets applies equally to the 75 sets.

I have to say though Chris, some people are frighteningly thick. Facts and logic seem to just completely go over their heads. 

I'm sure it's worse than it used to be, or maybe I'm just hyper-critical.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Blimey. Even in coin circles, 100k is hardly a "tiny number"! 

In crop circles however it’s a huge number.

• Haha 2

On 8/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, 1949threepence said:

KB Coins has a 1974 set on offer for just £15....

Whereas this single 1974 proof 50p fetched £54.37 - crazy

On 8/22/2020 at 11:36 PM, 1949threepence said:

I have to say though Chris, some people are frighteningly thick. Facts and logic seem to just completely go over their heads. 

I'm sure it's worse than it used to be, or maybe I'm just hyper-critical.

There is also a 1974 and 1975 proof sets as one item on ebay. £37.40 including postage at the minute. I do have the 1975 already, but not 1974.

Edited by Iannich48
Grammar

4 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

There is also a 1974 and 1975 proof sets as one item on ebay. £37.40 including postage at the minute. I do have the 1975 already, but not 1974.

I get the distinct impression that some dealers/e bay sellers have caught on to this 1974 craze, whereas others remain oblivious.

Interestingly, the 1992 Euro 50p has a mintage of 109,000. I think that they are all proofs? (Somebody confirm please)  And they are making a tidy sum too, but i will be holding on to my set.