British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

blimey

I don't think all the 1992 50ps were all proof - the 109000 figure is for the circulation issue. I have seen them loose and in BU blister packs. They are very sought after by the 50p collectors as there are just 5 different styles for the large 50ps, and this is far and away the scarcest.

Edited by Paddy
typo

42 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I don't think all the 1992 50ps were all proof - the 109000 figure is for the circulation issue. I have seen them loose and in BU blister packs. They are very sought after by the 50p collectors as there are just 5 different styles for the large 50ps, and this is far and away the scarcest.

I've got a few 1994 D Day anniversary 50p's somewhere - are they at all scarce?

15 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I've got a few 1994 D Day anniversary 50p's somewhere - are they at all scarce?

Mintage was 6,705,520 - so no.

• Sad 1

Not scarce originally, but as they have been out of circulation for years and many have been handed in to the banks for re-cycling, they do fetch a reasonable premium. I can usually sell them at market for £4 or £5 depending on condition. Again it is the avid 50p collector that needs them to complete the type set.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Thanks Paddy, good info.

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Not scarce originally, but as they have been out of circulation for years and many have been handed in to the banks for re-cycling, they do fetch a reasonable premium. I can usually sell them at market for £4 or £5 depending on condition. Again it is the avid 50p collector that needs them to complete the type set.

Mine are all Unc, I'll hang onto them. :)

However daft some of these 50p collectors may seem, chasing the 1974 50p for all its worth, it's still great news for the hobby of coin collecting.   

• Like 5

On 8/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, Iannich48 said:

I am watching a set on ebay. 14 bids and £41 at the minute. 4 days 5 hours left.

Well, this finished at £62 + £3.10 postage. Crazy?

4 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Well, this finished at £62 + £3.10 postage. Crazy?

It is considering KB Coins have got a 1974 proof set on offer for just £15 !!!

• Haha 1

Maybe the buyer only uses ebay for whatever reason. I've sold things to a couple buyers on ebay who promptly disregarded the business card included with the order, preferring to pay at least 15% more for something available on the website. You can only do so much to direct them.

There are many people who will only use ebay/facebook/preferred dealer etc for purchases. There is a distinct correlation between ease of purchase on ebay and a reluctance to explore beyond the site, and presumably the same applies to members of facebook.

The buyer could of course be taking a punt on something rumoured to be valuable - just like the numerous invitations to buy I receive of rare 50ps. Never underestimate the herd mentality of the general populace. Andrex anyone?

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It is considering KB Coins have got a 1974 proof set on offer for just £15 !!!

Out of stock already. 

I'm tempted to buy up some sets for the other years with no currency 50 pences...if a few people go for it, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JLS said:

Out of stock already. 

I'm tempted to buy up some sets for the other years with no currency 50 pences...if a few people go for it, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Not a surprise.

34 minutes ago, JLS said:

Out of stock already. 

Problem with that is there are 23 years that did not have a currency 50p struck and if Westminster dont advertise and hype up a year you could be stuck with them all .The latter years have already reached high prices but most collectors who maybe started collecting from change did not want the proofs.

10 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Problem with that is there are 23 years that did not have a currency 50p struck and if Westminster dont advertise and hype up a year you could be stuck with them all .The latter years have already reached high prices but most collectors who maybe started collecting from change did not want the proofs.

I make it 15 where there was a proof issue but no currency strike - 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995 & 1996.

Westminster may not be the only ones who hype up the "scarcity". Others will probably get in on the act. 

Yes 23 altogether upto 2019 ,this is a total for the years were a 50p of a specific design did not get struck for circulation .

The others are the shield for 2009 ,10,11,15,16 & 18 and Britannia for 1983 & 1997 but as i also said these later years people are aware and pay a premium anyway.

50 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes 23 altogether upto 2019 ,this is a total for the years were a 50p of a specific design did not get struck for circulation .

The others are the shield for 2009 ,10,11,15,16 & 18 and Britannia for 1983 & 1997 but as i also said these later years people are aware and pay a premium anyway.

Ah, that's not quite what you said, Pete. You said  "23 years that did not have a currency 50p struck". That is not factually correct as every other year bar the ones I mentioned had a currency 50p struck - Royal mint mintage figures  will bear out what I've said.

They may not have included all the designs for any given year, but nevertheless a currency strike was made.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I make it 15 where there was a proof issue but no currency strike - 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995 & 1996.

Westminster may not be the only ones who hype up the "scarcity". Others will probably get in on the act. 

The reality is that supply of all of these is somewhat "thin", even if they're not scarce in any meaningful sense.

There may have been 100,000 issued e.g. for 1974 but some of these will have been split up/damaged/ugly toned, and the vast majority of the others will be owned by collectors and other people who bought them close to the release date. The number immediately accessible to the market is going to be in the low thousands, and that's the sort of supply which can be overwhelmed by sudden demand.

Unlike the Kew Gardens 50 pence pieces, I don't think this is a case of someone stashing these away with an expectation of profit (yet !); there really are enough customers to exhaust demand at least temporarily. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JLS said:

The reality is that supply of all of these is somewhat "thin", even if they're not scarce in any meaningful sense.

There may have been 100,000 issued e.g. for 1974 but some of these will have been split up/damaged/ugly toned, and the vast majority of the others will be owned by collectors and other people who bought them close to the release date. The number immediately accessible to the market is going to be in the low thousands, and that's the sort of supply which can be overwhelmed by sudden demand.

Unlike the Kew Gardens 50 pence pieces, I don't think this is a case of someone stashing these away with an expectation of profit (yet !); there really are enough customers to exhaust demand at least temporarily. 

Spot on - As you say the majority of these 1974 sets will still be with the original purchaser (or their families if they are now deceased) Other will have been broken open and spent. Others will be lost, and as you say others will be badly toned. So I suppose when demand does spike, there's going to be an immediate shortage as the supply will not be there. Hence prices will rise markedly. 

It'll be interesting to see whether or not the demand for 1974 50p's does spread to other years. It obviously won't take long for collectors to cotton on to the fact that the mintage was the same in 1975, and they too were never issued for currency, merely existing as a proof item.  

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

It'll be interesting to see whether or not the demand for 1974 50p's does spread to other years. It obviously won't take long for collectors to cotton on to the fact that the mintage was the same in 1975, and they too were never issued for currency, merely existing as a proof item.  

50 pence collecting is very new, but I think it's a fashion which will last, so I would expect some of these other sets to get more attention, and it's great for the hobby - I think past waves of coin collecting have sprung out of people being able to find rarities in their change - think of US collecting in the immediate post-war period (when you could get things like 1932 D quarters in your change), or the British market in the 1960s around decimalization.

Whether it will make the 1970s sets worth £50 each is another matter. I hope not, but then on the other side the wholesale price being around £5 a set at auction is a little silly, especially given the difficulty of finding some of the sets with red lustrous copper - I went through a whole dealer's stock of them recently and found none I wanted to purchase. Probably the value for all of these will settle somewhere in between. 

• Like 2

I dont have a clue why ,maybe it was in a newspaper 😃 but the 2019 re - issued 50p Kew gardens has started selling for a lot more over the last few days.

It was only issued in sets( 5 coins) that people could buy for £22 - 50 off westminster but people the last few days now getting £70 / £80  just for the Kew.

• Haha 1

I bought one of those 2019 sets (to keep, because I didn't have a 2009 Kew) - so that's good news for me at least, Pete 🙂

• Like 1

Anyone have the figures for the 1996 silver proof set? Royal Mint site is being a pain and spitting me out at random irrelevant sections.

I've started collecting 50p's recently (only the Shield/Britannias, not Mrs Tiggywinkle etc).  I picked up a 1974 for £9 but had to pay silly money (£50+) for 2009 Shield, 2011 and 2016.